BeMD13

5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
How much are we supposed to write for our answers? I just did the practice questions and I got a sentence, maybe two, for each answer before my time was up. Is it better to answer all with short responses or to skip a question but make sure you are very thorough in the other two? I can't find an actual scoring rubric anywhere.

coldcase331

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Status
Medical Student
How much are we supposed to write for our answers? I just did the practice questions and I got a sentence, maybe two, for each answer before my time was up. Is it better to answer all with short responses or to skip a question but make sure you are very thorough in the other two? I can't find an actual scoring rubric anywhere.
Be succinct and to the point. Only take about 45 seconds to think about how you want to answer, the rest of the time needs to be devoted getting your thoughts on the page. Unlike in Canada (where this is a normal part of the admissions process, so people prepare for this like the MCAT), only a handful of schools use it in the US. So while our scores may not be as impressive compared to someone in Canada, you are only compared to other US takers. They just want to see that you have some sort of social skills and moral reasoning.

Reactions: BeMD13

Advisor Prep

Admissions Guru
Vendor
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2013
You'll have to write more than 1-2 sentences for each answer to be competitive for CASPer.

Our top students for CASPer are typically able write 5-6 sentences for each question (total of 15-18 sentences per section). To be able to do so in only 5 mins, requires advanced preparation for the test and not just sitting it cold turkey.

Good luck with your test!

Reactions: Veritas2016

drgomally

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You'll have to write more than 1-2 sentences for each answer to be competitive for CASPer.

Our top students for CASPer are typically able write 5-6 sentences for each question (total of 15-18 sentences per section). To be able to do so in only 5 mins, requires advanced preparation for the test and not just sitting it cold turkey.

Good luck with your test!
I respectfully disagree. It's not the quantity of answer your write, but rather the quality. Definitely try to be concise, because in the heat of the moment, the more you write, the more you can expose your weaknesses in your response.

Jan 23, 2016
I respectfully disagree. It's not the quantity of answer your write, but rather the quality. Definitely try to be concise, because in the heat of the moment, the more you write, the more you can expose your weaknesses in your response.
It is a written test so quantity is important. How can they assess your answer if you only write 1-2 sentences? Good luck doing well on CASPer if you're only writing a sentence or two for each answer.

drgomally

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2015
Status
It is a written test so quantity is important. How can they assess your answer if you only write 1-2 sentences? Good luck doing well on CASPer if you're only writing a sentence or two for each answer.
Like I said the key is to be concise. If one or two sentences can drive your point across, you've done a good job. Let's be real, with roughly 1:30 for each question, to be able to come up with one or two sentences is pretty impressive.

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I feel like my average was 2.8 sentences or so :p. I just took it yesterday (6/9) and I couldn't tell how I felt about it. There were 2-3 times I got cut off being overconfident in my typing skills.

It was difficult at times because of just how time crunched it is. You have to read the prompt and immediately start typing (or within a few seconds). Since you do not have time to read the other prompts, you may start answering the subsequent questions without knowing your doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I do not really agree with this. Perhaps it's different for Canadians who have been practicing for this test. I feel like US students are largely taking it with no (or little) preparation... so applicants will all be in the same spot. I can type at over 100 WPM and crafting a response longer than 4 sentences (at most) was rather difficult.

drgomally

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2015
Status
I do not really agree with this. Perhaps it's different for Canadians who have been practicing for this test. I feel like US students are largely taking it with no (or little) preparation... so applicants will all be in the same spot. I can type at over 100 WPM and crafting a response longer than 4 sentences (at most) was rather difficult.

are US and Canadian test-takers being graded together? if they are, I feel that canadian applicants would set the curve.

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I am not sure it is even assessed on a curve. Applicants are rather left in the dark about this one. Either way, other than the small number of international students (from Canada) applying to CASPer schools, we will be compared to one another.

Jul 8, 2017
are US and Canadian test-takers being graded together? if they are, I feel that canadian applicants would set the curve.
I have Canadian friends and it seems they are already stressed about the test because of how hard it is, so my guess is the US version is easier? However, because you are being compared directly to each other, easy is still relative.

bearded frog

5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think there is a separate test for US and Canadian applicants, so if you were Canadian and applying to both you might have to take it twice?

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
I probably averaged 3-4. Who knows how I did though. IMO, if you feel you answered the question AND explained your reasoning briefly, you did pretty good.