CASPer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeMD13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much are we supposed to write for our answers? I just did the practice questions and I got a sentence, maybe two, for each answer before my time was up. Is it better to answer all with short responses or to skip a question but make sure you are very thorough in the other two? I can't find an actual scoring rubric anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

How much are we supposed to write for our answers? I just did the practice questions and I got a sentence, maybe two, for each answer before my time was up. Is it better to answer all with short responses or to skip a question but make sure you are very thorough in the other two? I can't find an actual scoring rubric anywhere.
Be succinct and to the point. Only take about 45 seconds to think about how you want to answer, the rest of the time needs to be devoted getting your thoughts on the page. Unlike in Canada (where this is a normal part of the admissions process, so people prepare for this like the MCAT), only a handful of schools use it in the US. So while our scores may not be as impressive compared to someone in Canada, you are only compared to other US takers. They just want to see that you have some sort of social skills and moral reasoning.

Reactions: 1 user

You'll have to write more than 1-2 sentences for each answer to be competitive for CASPer.

Our top students for CASPer are typically able write 5-6 sentences for each question (total of 15-18 sentences per section). To be able to do so in only 5 mins, requires advanced preparation for the test and not just sitting it cold turkey.

Good luck with your test!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to write more than 1-2 sentences for each answer to be competitive for CASPer.

Our top students for CASPer are typically able write 5-6 sentences for each question (total of 15-18 sentences per section). To be able to do so in only 5 mins, requires advanced preparation for the test and not just sitting it cold turkey.

Good luck with your test!
I respectfully disagree. It's not the quantity of answer your write, but rather the quality. Definitely try to be concise, because in the heat of the moment, the more you write, the more you can expose your weaknesses in your response.

Reactions: 1 users
I respectfully disagree. It's not the quantity of answer your write, but rather the quality. Definitely try to be concise, because in the heat of the moment, the more you write, the more you can expose your weaknesses in your response.

It is a written test so quantity is important. How can they assess your answer if you only write 1-2 sentences? Good luck doing well on CASPer if you're only writing a sentence or two for each answer.

It is a written test so quantity is important. How can they assess your answer if you only write 1-2 sentences? Good luck doing well on CASPer if you're only writing a sentence or two for each answer.

Like I said the key is to be concise. If one or two sentences can drive your point across, you've done a good job. Let's be real, with roughly 1:30 for each question, to be able to come up with one or two sentences is pretty impressive.

I feel like my average was 2.8 sentences or so :p. I just took it yesterday (6/9) and I couldn't tell how I felt about it. There were 2-3 times I got cut off being overconfident in my typing skills.

It was difficult at times because of just how time crunched it is. You have to read the prompt and immediately start typing (or within a few seconds). Since you do not have time to read the other prompts, you may start answering the subsequent questions without knowing your doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I do not really agree with this. Perhaps it's different for Canadians who have been practicing for this test. I feel like US students are largely taking it with no (or little) preparation... so applicants will all be in the same spot. I can type at over 100 WPM and crafting a response longer than 4 sentences (at most) was rather difficult.

I do not really agree with this. Perhaps it's different for Canadians who have been practicing for this test. I feel like US students are largely taking it with no (or little) preparation... so applicants will all be in the same spot. I can type at over 100 WPM and crafting a response longer than 4 sentences (at most) was rather difficult.

are US and Canadian test-takers being graded together? if they are, I feel that canadian applicants would set the curve.

I am not sure it is even assessed on a curve. Applicants are rather left in the dark about this one. Either way, other than the small number of international students (from Canada) applying to CASPer schools, we will be compared to one another.

are US and Canadian test-takers being graded together? if they are, I feel that canadian applicants would set the curve.

I have Canadian friends and it seems they are already stressed about the test because of how hard it is, so my guess is the US version is easier? However, because you are being compared directly to each other, easy is still relative.

I think there is a separate test for US and Canadian applicants, so if you were Canadian and applying to both you might have to take it twice?

What is your operational definition of a sentence?

I probably averaged 3-4. Who knows how I did though. IMO, if you feel you answered the question AND explained your reasoning briefly, you did pretty good.

I think CASper should be offered in other languages as well. English is my second language, and I had a hard time delivering my point across in a timely manner. Think about it, ethic is behavior and not a conversation; we don't narrate our actions towards others. But I came to this forum to see how much everyone types. I suppose I averaged 3-4 sentences, while for some answers I felt that I could answer precisely with a single sentence. I also made sure my voice is heard in the survey.

It is sad that these tests don't deliver what they promise. It's just a business trying to get you to pay more money on tests and prep material that don't work. I've looked at some sample answers by some companies, no way anyone can answer the prompts in a paragraph.

I think CASper should be offered in other languages as well. English is my second language, and I had a hard time delivering my point across in a timely manner. Think about it, ethic is behavior and not a conversation; we don't narrate our actions towards others. But I came to this forum to see how much everyone types. I suppose I averaged 3-4 sentences, while for some answers I felt that I could answer precisely with a single sentence. I also made sure my voice is heard in the survey.

It is sad that these tests don't deliver what they promise. It's just a business trying to get you to pay more money on tests and prep material that don't work. I've looked at some sample answers by some companies, no way anyone can answer the prompts in a paragraph.

I disagree that the tests should be in different languages. You're applying to a medical school in an predominantly English speaking country. The whole reason for the test is to show that you are be able to communicate proficiently and effectively in English. And I'm sorry to break it to you but there will be more tests in medical school and residency where your ability to communicate is tested.

But I agree that these tests are money making schemes. But that's also not going to change once you're in... They just get more expensive so you'll just have to deal with it.

I wrote 1-2 sentence answers and have been accepted to 3 casper schools thus far. I don't feel bad giving anecdotal advice because this test is absolute garbage and trying to swindle premeds into paying for your prep services is equally garbage.