Casual Language in a Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSisk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out Utah's secondary and they have you write an additional PS. I am curious if it is ok to use casual type language in a statement. Not AIM casual but not very formal either. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So i like heard about your skool right, and its meant to be really cool and stuff, but not as gay as the caribbean right, because i only play ownage schools. But i'm like wtf, i'm getting acceptans to these noob skools, but i say no to them gay noobs. so i like know i'll get in, since i pwn noobs so hard and stuff right. so tell me when i get in and stuff, or maybe i need to mail my special combo so you can be like omg, that guy pwns so much Lol!

alansda said:
So i like heard about your skool right, and its meant to be really cool and stuff, but not as gay as the caribbean right, because i only play ownage schools. But i'm like wtf, i'm getting acceptans to these noob skools, but i say no to them gay noobs. so i like know i'll get in, since i pwn noobs so hard and stuff right. so tell me when i get in and stuff, or maybe i need to mail my special combo so you can be like omg, that guy pwns so much Lol!
I'm amazed you have enough time to waste to write that...that's spectacular.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just debating this myself yesterday.. i'm writing an essay for Northwestern, and I wanted to use the phrase 'kick in the ass' but wasn't sure if that would fly.... my bf suggested I say 'kick in the pants' instead. ;P I think I might actually run with that.

I think you should write in your own style. I'm told you should avoid contractions, slang, and bad grammar. Other than that, hell... be yourself :) How else are you going to stand out as the unique person that you are?

stherling said:
i was just debating this myself yesterday.. i'm writing an essay for Northwestern, and I wanted to use the phrase 'kick in the ass' but wasn't sure if that would fly.... my bf suggested I say 'kick in the pants' instead. ;P I think I might actually run with that.

I think you should write in your own style. I'm told you should avoid contractions, slang, and bad grammar. Other than that, hell... be yourself :) How else are you going to stand out as the unique person that you are?
Yeah I definately will not swear just in case they are against it, but I really want this to be a less formal essay and actually be semi interesting to read...i just wasnt sure if this would be advisable or not. I appreciate your response.

alansda said:

No no no no...lol....here is casual language

Wassup my bleep....Yall know I been shoppin' for colleges and **** and I am really feel'N yall skool.....let me break it down to yall peeps why I wanna keep it real at yo skool....yeah yall laboratories and patient experiences are aight...but the honies is what I am lookin at.... Damn, I love me some mormon girls!!! And the weed prospets up ther in Utah....DAMN! Dat's why Utah is my skool...and ****, I will knuck and buck so that I can be down...Med school at Utah is where I wanna be down.

riceman04 said:
No no no no...lol....here is casual language

Wassup my bleep....Yall know I been shoppin' for colleges and **** and I am really feel'N yall skool.....let me break it down to yall peeps why I wanna keep it real at yo skool....yeah yall laboratories and patient experiences are aight...but the honies is what I am lookin at.... Damn, I love me some mormon girls!!! And the weed prospets up ther in Utah....DAMN! Dat's why Utah is my skool...and ****, I will knuck and buck so that I can be down...Med school at Utah is where I wanna be down.
ill keep that in mind

some of my essays are pseudo-casual but only in that i'm telling stories and using a lot of first person. all in all, i would keep it pretty professional. my two cents.
-mota

TSisk23 said:
I am filling out Utah's secondary and they have you write an additional PS. I am curious if it is ok to use casual type language in a statement. Not AIM casual but not very formal either. Thanks.

I read some real essays / statements in a book for people accepted and the language is easy to understand, in straightforward language (not using lots of SAT big words), like they're talking to you, but definitely with correct grammar and spelling ...no "ya'll, kick in the pants" stuff. some of your readers may be quite conservative.

Med01 said:
I read some real essays / statements in a book for people accepted and the language is easy to understand, in straightforward language (not using lots of SAT big words), like they're talking to you, but definitely with correct grammar and spelling ...no "ya'll, kick in the pants" stuff. some of your readers may be quite conservative.
There is no such thing as an SAT word. The people who will be reading your essays are educated far beyond the point of thinking in such terms. They are not, however, educated to think that sloppy language is the hallmark of an excellent future doctor.

Carefully placed colloquial speech, typically couched by a more formal essay, can be effective, but I would think it unwise to be completely informal.

drinklord said:
There is no such thing as an SAT word. The people who will be reading your essays are educated far beyond the point of thinking in such terms. They are not, however, educated to think that sloppy language is the hallmark of an excellent future doctor.

Carefully placed colloquial speech, typically couched by a more formal essay, can be effective, but I would think it unwise to be completely informal.

I agree. There's no reason to use a phrase like "kick in the pants" or other slang unless it's a quote, and I'd definitely avoid using any word that in any circles might be considered in poor taste. People our grandparents' age may be reading these applications

Some of my secondary essays were conversational in tone. I used correct grammar, and I didn't swear or use slang, but it was not super-formal writing. I think I managed to strike a balance b/t appearing professional and letting my personality show. I don't see why it would be a problem as long as the essay is still well-written, grammatical, and appropriate.

it is far, far better to err on the side of formal than informal. if it's your personality that you're worried abt coming through, don't be. your essays will speak for themselves if they're well written, well edited, and clearly conveyed (which i'm sure they are).

you should totally use informal language. furthermore you should write the essay about how you want to apply to utah cus you dated this mormon chick in college and she was a total freak in the sack and you want to meet more chicks like that. dont be afraid to get explicit.