cat grooming reflex?

Started by r_salis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I scratch my cat on her back at the base of her tail it seems to trigger her grooming reflex -- she starts licking and biting (in a grooming sort of way) anything she's close to. I've tried this on a couple other cats and it seems to do the same thing. Is this a known reflex?
 
r_salis said:
If I scratch my cat on her back at the base of her tail it seems to trigger her grooming reflex -- she starts licking and biting (in a grooming sort of way) anything she's close to. I've tried this on a couple other cats and it seems to do the same thing. Is this a known reflex?

I've heard of this more as a nursing reflex than grooming. When a cat experiences something pleasurable, like scratching her back, it will "remind" her of when she nursed and found pleasure it that. Like the kneading of the paws in a pleasurable situation is similar to the way that a kitten will knead her mom to increase milk flow. The licking and biting could be an extension or replacement of that action. It would be like how a kitten would lick and mouth her mom to find a nipple and start nursing. It might be a grooming reflex, on the other hand, since that is also a pleasurable experience that cats naturally have. Though it is usually them as kittens being groomed rather than them doing the grooming. In either case, I believe the reason for the action is because the sensation of pleasure triggers something in them that causes them to physically replay an action that is a natural pleasure for them and that they knew from birth at intimate times with their mother.
 
I've had that happen - once I was holding the cat over my shoulder and he started preening my arm! It was definitely preening, not nursing. Can't offer an explanation, though.
 
r_salis said:
If I scratch my cat on her back at the base of her tail it seems to trigger her grooming reflex -- she starts licking and biting (in a grooming sort of way) anything she's close to. I've tried this on a couple other cats and it seems to do the same thing. Is this a known reflex?


I had a Cat that did that.... it was hilarious as hell... lol....

Nothing to worry about, but if you want some laughs..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: