Quantcast

Cataract Surgery Anesthesia Models

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhb

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
It doesn't happen here.
At a private hospital here a plastic surgeon was billing 100k/year through the hospital billing but was driving a Ferrari...
I would be completely shocked if surgeons in the US were not taking cash from patients under the radar.

Reactions: 1 users

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of free market USA capitalist bs is that?
Dont't tell me people are not taking cash from people on Medicare under the table because that's what happens here. Some university professors were notorious for not even looking at the patient if he wasn't coming in with a 5k€ enveloppe for their surgery.

I’d be open to accepting “tips”;) if it didn’t break any laws.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At a private hospital here a plastic surgeon was billing 100k/year through the hospital billing but was driving a Ferrari...
I would be completely shocked if surgeons in the US were not taking cash from patients under the radar.

I’ve heard rumors that some surgeons at places like HSS have opted out and do not participate in Medicare….but it’s only rumors and I don’t have firsthand knowledge. It would be hard for an anesthesiologist to do that since we don’t get to pick and choose our patients and some patients have Medicare.

RadsWFA1900

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard rumors that some surgeons at places like HSS do not participate in Medicare….but it’s only rumors and I don’t have firsthand knowledge.
I feel like that would be easy to find out

Reactions: 1 user

RadsWFA1900

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was an intern in NYC, one of my attendings received a gold Rolex from a patient who was a foreign diplomat.
Cool. For everyone else there's always amazon gift cards.

• Haha

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we dont have a dedicated housekeeping team just for cataract. so it take time for them to come and mop. also need to wait for room to dry.
getting interpreter easily increases length of preop by 2-3x

a full day of cataract is ~6 cataract
Jeez. Hospital? Hospital is unfortunately not the appropriate forum for routine cataract surgery.

DrOwnage

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you need a good preop for a cataract? It's a cataract. Can you lay there for fifteen minutes without dying? Then you can get a cataract.

Why does it take an hour? It's a 10 minute procedure. And if there's an hour between cases why does the nurse not place the iv? Strange.
There's nothing worse than a preop nurse who can't put in an IV...

D

deleted126335

I loved drawing morning labs on my 7/10 patients, on a good day.
I think that the same Phlebotomist working there 35 years ago who did morning blood draws: Ms. Unable. Her colleague was Ms. Refused.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

IMGASMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that the same Phlebotomist working there 35 years ago who did morning blood draws: Ms. Unable. Her colleague was Ms. Refused.

That’s the pair!

I especially liked the vent unit. “Patient refused…..” I always wondered, how?!

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Reaction score
What kind of free market USA capitalist bs is that?
Dont't tell me people are not taking cash from people on Medicare under the table because that's what happens here. Some university professors were notorious for not even looking at the patient if he wasn't coming in with a 5k€ enveloppe for their surgery.

???

Gern Blansten

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was an intern in NYC, one of my attendings received a gold Rolex from a patient who was a foreign diplomat.
When I was intern, I was admitting an older patient with mental status changes. When it was time for me to leave the room, he pulled out his wallet and said, “So, what do I owe ya’?”
Not sure why I still recall that but it’s the only time a patient has ever tried to pay directly. Had lots who brought food items for the team days later. Always struggled trying to remember if they were happy with their care at the time so we could know it was safe to eat.

• Haha

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was intern, I was admitting an older patient with mental status changes. When it was time for me to leave the room, he pulled out his wallet and said, “So, what do I owe ya’?”
Not sure why I still recall that but it’s the only time a patient has ever tried to pay directly. Had lots who brought food items for the team days later. Always struggled trying to remember if they were happy with their care at the time so we could know it was safe to eat.

That’s what the medical student is for;)

Reactions: 2 users

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What'd you tell em?

Mman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The private insurances in this market play much closer to Medicare.

there is nowhere in the US that private insurance is paying anywhere close to medicare rates for anesthesia services. Doesn't exist. Even in the horrible reimbursement states it is probably 3x-4x Medicare for most payors.

Another thing to keep in mind with those great independently insured CRNAs is that you will personally be on the hook for anesthesia malpractice in the event of a bad outcome. It makes no difference that you are not an anesthesiologist, you will be financially responsible for their actions/mistakes as the "captain of the ship".

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand anything you're saying.

It's a cataract. What needs to dry? What do you need to wash? It's a cataract.

The preop goes from 30 seconds to 1 minute? It's a cataract.

A full day of cataracts is 12-20. Because it's a cataract.

huh, the room needs to be mopped. even if a cataract. i thought thats jhaco rules??
do you guys routinely not have people clean the room, and the equipments including your monitors??

not uncommon for surgeon to have cash paying patients. i dont know how common it is for anesthesia

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
huh, the room needs to be mopped. even if a cataract. i thought thats jhaco rules??
do you guys routinely not have people clean the room, and the equipments including your monitors??

not uncommon for surgeon to have cash paying patients. i dont know how common it is for anesthesia
No hospital, no JHACO :D