categorical derm programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OntheRoof55

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how strict the match is about doing the pgy1 year of an categorical derm program at that same insitution? does anyone know if there is any fexibility in this? does it depend on the institution?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly.... If you are talking about doing your PGY-1 year at another location but matching at a categorical program I know there are some programs that will work with you but you would need to let them know in advance (i.e. during your interview, etc.), others might not.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes opencomedo that was my question...but even if a categorical program were willing to allow me to do a pgy1 somewhere else, how does this work with the match? is it only after the match taht i would have to try to find a spot for intern year at the place i wanted?

yeah, I didn't think about how you would put it in your ROL, I'm not sure... If you really are interested though I would imagine you should speak with the PD of the intern year you want and inquire how you should work it out, then on interviews talk with the PD at the categorical program you are interviewing with (of course have an explanation why you want the intern year at the other location). Good luck!

If I can remember from when I was applying...Cleveland Clinic and Yale were two programs that required PGY-1 (i.e. only offered categorical and NOT advanced tracks). Not sure if there are others?!?

I think Michigan, Henry Ford, and Mayo-Rochester have a few categorical positions too...

Last edited:
you can always look in ERAS (it is arduous to do for all the programs you applied to, but if it is one you are interested in...). go to programs>programs applied to> then click on the program of interest (in hyperlink blue), it will say in the next page what tracks you applied to...

Impossible to change.

When you make your rank list, you cannot rank preliminary or transitional years underneath a categorical position. The match algorithm simply will not allow you to do it.

I would not recommend asking to do your intern year somewhere else. It looks like you'd rather be somewhere else and are desperately taking any derm spot you can get. "I guess I'll settle for derm in your city, but I really want to be on the beach in a cushy internship" -- doesn't look good.