Categorical or Advanced?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venus21pam

Freakin' peachy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just started researching the programs that I want to apply to and a lot of them are offering both Categorical and Advanced slots (I want to do Anesthesiology by the way).
Now I know that those are two different programs and I should send separate applications but I'm sort of asking myself - should I be applying to both programs at one institution or just stick to one?
And which ones are considered better - As or Cs?
Could someone help me solve this problem?
I will appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I see no responses...

Has anyone had any experience with that???
I'm really curious how to approach this - try to apply only to categorical or only to advanced + internship or mix and match?

Help please...

dude, im so confused about all the different types of internships/programs - linked, categorical, specialty emphasis, specialty track, advanced blah blah ... who the heck knows?? apply to both. :rolleyes:

Venus21pam said:
Hi everyone,

I just started researching the programs that I want to apply to and a lot of them are offering both Categorical and Advanced slots (I want to do Anesthesiology by the way).
Now I know that those are two different programs and I should send separate applications but I'm sort of asking myself - should I be applying to both programs at one institution or just stick to one?
And which ones are considered better - As or Cs?
Could someone help me solve this problem?
I will appreciate any input.

If you're really interested in a certain program, I see no problem with applying to advanced and categorical. It's really just a preference. If you want to stay in one place for all your training because it just seems easier, rank categorical higher. If you loved your med school and would like to do an intern year there but they don't have an anesthesiology residency, apply to advanced positions. One or the other isn't widely regarded as being better--it's really what you want. I think the trend is to try to increase the number of categorical spots and slowly decrease the number of advanced slots, but there are plenty of programs with both, some are all advanced, and some all categorical.

Thanks pillowhead.
I guess I really have no preference - at least I haven't thought about that in those terms. I'm a foreign graduate and just came to the States about a year ago so moving is not an issue for me, I have no favorite place to be etc.
I was just curious if I apply to both categorical and advanced would they just have one interview for both? And lets say the program wanted me would they rank me for both??? The reason I'm asking is because applying to a lot of programs is expensive so I'm not sure it makes sense to double the application.

Venus21pam said:
Thanks pillowhead.
I guess I really have no preference - at least I haven't thought about that in those terms. I'm a foreign graduate and just came to the States about a year ago so moving is not an issue for me, I have no favorite place to be etc.
I was just curious if I apply to both categorical and advanced would they just have one interview for both? And lets say the program wanted me would they rank me for both??? The reason I'm asking is because applying to a lot of programs is expensive so I'm not sure it makes sense to double the application.

applying to multiple types of positions within the same program does not actually cost extra. it's still charged as one application.

pillowhead said:
applying to multiple types of positions within the same program does not actually cost extra. it's still charged as one application.

Oh Wow, I didn't know that.
Maybe I missed that paragraph when trying to dig through the ERAS rules.
Thanks for the tip :idea: