MyMia

Crazy Cat Lady
2+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2014
Cat Land
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I've been volunteering my services at a vet clinic since the age of 10. Without a doubt, my favorite part is observing the surgeries. This morning, I was fortunate enough to help in a declawing procedure.

Catheters is a whole other story. Seeing someone putting one on a pet PETRIFIES ME to the point of me having to look away. No amount of tricks given by the staff seems to be working either.

Am I the only person on these forums with a deep fear of catheters? If not, does anyone know of a trick to help me overcome it?

Last edited:

TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo

West Coast Best Coast c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Only advice I have is just keep watching them (without looking away. Sit down if you are worried you might black out) until you reach a point where you are desensitized.

I used to get super lightheaded (and black out) in surgeries but after seeing enough of them they don't bother me anymore. Sometimes I would just watch them on YouTube at home to help get more exposure. I think everyone has one little thing that always gets to them a little. In any case, hope it works out for you!

Reactions: MyMia
OP
M

MyMia

Crazy Cat Lady
2+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2014
Cat Land
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Only advice I have is just keep watching them (without looking away. Sit down if you are worried you might black out) until you reach a point where you are desensitized.

I used to get super lightheaded (and black out) in surgeries but after seeing enough of them they don't bother me anymore. Sometimes I would just watch them on YouTube at home to help get more exposure. I think everyone has one little thing that always gets to them a little. In any case, hope it works out for you!

Thank you very much for your advice!

About the Ads

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
Make sure you're eating and drinking enough! I love necropsy but if I'm dehydrated I get light headed and feel gross while I'm working. Drinking enough water makes a huge difference for me.

Reactions: LadyOtheFarm

ziggyandjazzy

the smallest feline is a masterpiece
2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
I've been volunteering my services at a vet clinic since the age of 10. Without a doubt, my favorite part is observing the surgeries. This morning, I was fortunate enough to help in a declawing procedure.

Catheters is a whole other story. Seeing someone putting one on a pet PETRIFIES ME to the point of me having to look away. No amount of tricks given by the staff seems to be working either.

Am I the only person on these forums with a deep fear of catheters? If not, does anyone know of a trick to help me overcome it?
I'm curious why you find it fortunate to see a declaw. None of the vets I work with will do it because it is so inhumane.

OP
M

MyMia

Crazy Cat Lady
2+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2014
Cat Land
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Make sure you're eating and drinking enough! I love necropsy but if I'm dehydrated I get light headed and feel gross while I'm working. Drinking enough water makes a huge difference for me.
I'm having a similar reaction with surgeries if I don't eat or drink correctly. I have to be careful.

I'm curious why you find it fortunate to see a declaw. None of the vets I work with will do it because it is so inhumane.
I said I assisted in the surgery. I'm having mixed feelings about it. I'm not the biggest fan of declaws by any stretch of the imagination either. At the same time, it was my first surgery. I can't help but feel positive about it. I'm not sure if I'm making an sense here.

I'm curious what you mean by "petrifies"? Like you pass out, you have an anxiety attack, you scream...?
Anxiety attacks.

Last edited:

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
I'm having a similar reaction with surgeries if I don't eat or drink correctly. I have to be careful.

I said I assisted in the surgery. I'm having mixed feelings about it. I'm not the biggest fan of declaws by any stretch of the imagination either. At the same time, it was my first surgery. I can't help but feel positive about it. I'm not sure if I'm making an sense here.

Anxiety attacks.
Makes sense to me-it's exciting to be learning about new things, especially when it comes to a certain surgery that you may not have the opportunity to ever see again (declaws are going out of style, obviously). I once mentioned that I was excited that I hit a cardiac stick on my first try (to euthanize an animal). Got the response of "Well I don't understand how you could possibly be happy that you euthanized an animal today." Like okay, that's one way to interpret what I said....but anyways, yes, I too felt excitement about one part of my situation even though the other part wasn't exactly positive (although I argue that euthanasia actually can be positive, but I'm going wayyyyy off topic here). Side note-don't let someone make you feel that you might be in the wrong for observing something they don't agree with (and being excited about it), especially when they sound like they may not have even witnessed the procedure themselves.

I have no issues drawing blood and I actually have a pretty darn good success rate (not that it matters). I'm comfortable with all of it. Placing catheters on the other hand is a very different feeling. I think the idea that I'm leaving something in a vein is weird, plus I've had bad experiences with catheters being place in me and I know it can be quite painful. Like others suggested, desensitize yourself. I'd start at home on Youtube so you can do it at your own pace.

Reactions: MyMia and Elkhart
About the Ads