Cato: Challenging the Conventional Opioid Overdose Narrative...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
its interesting...

but hes missing the point.

he actually mentions one of the primary reasons to reduce opioid prescribing, yet passes over it completely as a reason to decrease prescribing - ie most people abusing prescription opioids are getting it from legitimate prescriptions of friends and family.

also, while he quotes lots of studies, he does not ever quote a study that states that opioids help chronically.

fwiw, the speaker who seems to be billed as an independent voice is actually a member of the CATO institute as a senior fellow.

like asking Jim Acosta to be an independent analyst and review Trump's first 2 years as POTUS..

its interesting...

but hes missing the point.

he actually mentions one of the primary reasons to reduce opioid prescribing, yet passes over it completely as a reason to decrease prescribing - ie most people abusing prescription opioids are getting it from legitimate prescriptions of friends and family.

also, while he quotes lots of studies, he does not ever quote a study that states that opioids help chronically.

fwiw, the speaker who seems to be billed as an independent voice is actually a member of the CATO institute as a senior fellow.

like asking Jim Acosta to be an independent analyst and review Trump's first 2 years as POTUS..

So an Rx is legit if it comes from a doc? Lots of times it isnt. And if someone gets the med that is not the patient, it is bo longer a legit rx.

But your bias preceds you. Or precludes you.

So an Rx is legit if it comes from a doc? Lots of times it isnt. And if someone gets the med that is not the patient, it is bo longer a legit rx.

But your bias preceds you. Or precludes you.
Are you saying that doctors do not write legitimate prescriptions?

Then... should pharmacies police and decide which scripts are truly legitimate?

In order to reduce the vast tonnage of opioids out there, asking people to dispose of them/return them will only make a small dent.

Doctors are making a dent on reducing supply on a macro level, and public opinion is trending against non medical opioid use.

Problem is - one that you consistently refuse to recognize - is that these interventions are to stop new addicts, and it is too late for those already exposed and addicted. These ppl who formerly used “prescription” (Schedule 2, if you will) opioids are a significant part that is driving the illegal market, until they all die off from illicit substance OD.

This is a sociological debate, not psychological ie individual treatment. You and others remain rooted in the individual, but that won’t address the root societal problems related to opioids....

Ie “pain pills are fine to take. Here, have some of mine, or better yet, buy them from me, I’ll get more from my doc”...