Caution About Md/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgarg3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how they do MD/MBA programs at other schools, but at University of Chicago they shrink the MBA program down for their medical students. ONLY THEIR MEDICAL STUDENTS, NOT STUDENTS ENROLLED IN OTHER SCHOOLS. Most MBA students are required to complete 20 classes in order to obtain an MBA. However, those students who are also enrolled in Priztker (U of C Medical School) are only required to complete 14 classes to obtain the MBA. If you're in the duel degree program, you have to take 6 less classes to obtain the same degree. Not that these students are less qualified, but make sure you think about the financial costs associated with taking those 6 additional classes (classes are expensive) and also the time needed to take the extra classes and make sure you check into how other schools do it if you're applying duel degree. Remember, this is only at U of C. To the applicants for 2005- Good luck! I know its a pain, but it'll be over soon! :)

rgarg3

Members don't see this ad.

this is a common theme. the basis lies in that some of the electives are allowed to overlap with another degree - i.e. a dual degree program.

At Emory you are allowed to take less classes to graduate. They recognize that the logistics of doing both degrees can be very difficult so you can take approx. 4 less classes and still graduate. However, if you want to take all of the classes, you are more than welcome to.

Members don't see this ad :)
The less amount of classes is due to electives usually. You have your core classes then usually have anywhere between 4-8 electives (my MBA program its 4 electives and 3 electives within certain areas). I don't have a problem with it because that is why its a DUAL degree. If I could have done the dual degree instead of the MBA first I would have gladly done it. But wasn't thinking the med school track. You aren't missing any core classes and as mward said ... you can always take more if you want. Most just want the degree and run.

flindophile said:
I have never understood why an MD would be required to take fewer courses. They don't reduce the requirements for those who have degrees that are much more closely aligned with business (business, statistics, economics, industrial engineering) or for those with other advanced degrees.

Well-developed quantitative skills make much of the MBA requirements redundant or just too slow. There are accelerated programs (like the Twelve Month Option at Cornell) that require another graduate degree in science (MS, PhD, or MD).