Cbt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to set up a private practice where a psychiatrist only does CBT?

Members don't see this ad.

is it possible to set up a private practice where a psychiatrist only does CBT?

Good question. I'd be interested in the responses. What kind of information were your attendings able to give to you?

-AT.

Seems reasonable, although realize that you'll need a much larger referral base and will have much higher patient turnover if you're doing CBT correctly. For example, I have a social phobia patient, did meds and CBT for 16 weeks, then transitioned to psychopharm only q2-3 mo with each appointment discussing meds and checking in on the CBT usage. Unlike analysis and insight-oriented twice weekly treatment, you'll have much higher patient turnover because you should be doing time-limited therapies and should not expect them to be buying that hour for the next 1-2 years. I see this working better in the child psych realm where
1) you should not expect these kids (littler ones) to be in weekly therapy for years
2) there are several very effective time-limited treatments - coping cat for anxiety disorders, IPT for depression, and behavior modification for ADHD/ODD
3) there is a very high demand so you can actually serve many more kids if you can turnover your caseload more quickly.

MBK2003