CBY Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

india7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have read through the FAQ stickies, which were very helpful, but i have some confusion regarding applying to anesth. residency. i am looking into a 3 year residency, so i need to apply for the intern year, but my question is when do you do the application for the actual anesthesia residency? do you first apply and match into a transitional/surg/med/ped year first and then in that year apply and match for the anesthesia program? sorry if this question has been asked many times before.....any help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

india7 said:
Hello, I have read through the FAQ stickies, which were very helpful, but i have some confusion regarding applying to anesth. residency. i am looking into a 3 year residency, so i need to apply for the intern year, but my question is when do you do the application for the actual anesthesia residency? do you first apply and match into a transitional/surg/med/ped year first and then in that year apply and match for the anesthesia program? sorry if this question has been asked many times before.....any help is appreciated, thanks!
As far as 3 year residency programs, you will apply through the NRMP match for both prelim and anesthesiolgy programs. You will be applying for internships for 2007-2008 academic year and anesthesiology programs begining in 2008-2009 if you are going to go thru next years match. Hope that answers your question,
Frisbee

india7 said:

you apply for both the CBY and the advanced 3-year spot at the same time, i.e. during the same Match. you will need to interview for both positions during the interview season. when Match Day comes you will learn if/where you matched for the cby and the advanced spots. it is possible to match into one and not the other (i.e. match a CBY, need to scramble for Advanced, and vice-versa).

it seems confusing at first, but after reading through the ERAS site a dozen times it might still seem confusing. ;)

thanks so much, i understand alot better now.....