CC as primary specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intensivist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you think about making a pure CC specialty, long time ago there was such in Spain, but l guess one of the strongest intensive care medicine is in Australia, and they are on the way o making such programme.
what you all think of it, l thing residency would last 5-7 yrs, not sure

Members don't see this ad.

They have that in the US. It's 3 years IM followed by a 2 year fellowship in CC. Pulm-CC is 3 years Im and 3 years of fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could do General Surgery followed by a CC fellowship and work in a SICU.

l know about those fellowships, but as far as l understood they're making it a primary speciality, therefore not s fellowship of any kind, after med school, internship str8 to ICU medicine.

What you think about making a pure CC specialty, long time ago there was such in Spain, but l guess one of the strongest intensive care medicine is in Australia, and they are on the way o making such programme.
what you all think of it, l thing residency would last 5-7 yrs, not sure

Ohhhh... youre saying make a residency for CC.... I thought you were saying that there should be CC without pulm.

I'd say "why?" Its already 5 years as is. In a way, CCM is IM on 'roids. ~3 years of a categorical CCM residency would be general IM anyway. You could say that even the ambulatory component adds something to your ability to prioritize and plan.

Also, a general I.M. residency gives you enough time for specialized electives in cardiology, nephrology, etc. which would be useful in CCM. Sure you could add them to a hypothetical CCM residency.... but why?

I think the current system is fine, because it actually seems more popular for docs to want the background from a general specialty. Also, Some docs who send their patients to the ICU appreciate that the intensivist is also a surgeon, or anesthesiologist or pulmonologist, (or isn't). Ive seen a surgeon who "made sure" that one of the Pulm/CCM docs was on service before he sent a patient to the ICU, and Ive seen him complain because a Surgical-CC doc wasnt around when he sent a patient to the unit.

The only advantage would be that you wouldnt need to apply twice, which saves a lot of headache.

well, besides IM you have both anesthesia and surgery as primary specialty, therefore it can function without IM, eventhough l think it's good to have such background in ICU. But then again, if one will have 5-7 yrs programme, then he/she will have plenty of time to focus on IM stuff of importance to ICU.
my concern is about job itself, how would affect someone's life, just doing ICU for rest of you (shorter then average?) life?

Thats true.... but then anesthesia covers vent management, pressors, resuscitation, fluids and electrolytes,

I dont know what surgery does.

l guess, that's why in lot's of countries there isn't surgical CC felowship...

This thread makes little sense to me. Could you do a categorical CC residency? Sure. But why? It's a solution to a problem that does even exist. We already have training pathways for critical care docs.

This thread makes little sense to me. Could you do a categorical CC residency? Sure. But why? It's a solution to a problem that does even exist. We already have training pathways for critical care docs.

Thats what Im sayin'

Unless it encompassed portions of surgical, anesthisia, and IM to make a well rounded CC doc, but then that would be a good 8 year residency.

Unless it encompassed portions of surgical, anesthisia, and IM to make a well rounded CC doc, but then that would be a good 8 year residency.

You really don't need to know that much about categorical surgery, gas, or IM to be trained to take care of critical care issues I think. I think you could easily do a residency in three years if you wanted to.