CC Fellowship...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, now that it's been approved... I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys could enlighten me with.

1. When will we be able to begin applying for fellowship and is this nationally accepted (meaning: can we apply for any CC spot?)?

2. What does it mean for us? If we do a 2y fellowship while I believe IMs do a 3y fellowship - what's the difference between EM/CC and IM/CC? Dumb question - but who gets to practice as Pulm/CC (and bronch people)?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not so much "EM" or "IM" CC - it's "CC" vs "Pulm/CC".

Just like hematology is 2 years, and oncology is 2 years, but heme/onc is 3 years, there's a two year CC only fellowship. I do not know if there is a 2 year pulm only fellowship.

It's not so much "EM" or "IM" CC - it's "CC" vs "Pulm/CC".

Just like hematology is 2 years, and oncology is 2 years, but heme/onc is 3 years, there's a two year CC only fellowship. I do not know if there is a 2 year pulm only fellowship.

There are 2 yr pulm only fellowships.

KG

Members don't see this ad :)
The question I have is what role would an EM-boarded, CC fellowship-trained EP have? Would we do ICU work, do additional procedures like Swan-Ganz?

I don't know many ER docs who would want to do inpatient care in addition to their ER shifts.

The question I have is what role would an EM-boarded, CC fellowship-trained EP have? Would we do ICU work, do additional procedures like Swan-Ganz?

I don't know many ER docs who would want to do inpatient care in addition to their ER shifts.

Oh, they are definitely out there - EM docs that would want to work in the unit. That is the whole point - we can do the beginning, and, with the CC work, also the end. Central lines you didn't place in the ED? You get them in the unit! The interesting patients that aren't draining you of your will to live? In the unit! All the fun is gone? Send them to the floor!

Oh, they are definitely out there - EM docs that would want to work in the unit. That is the whole point - we can do the beginning, and, with the CC work, also the end. Central lines you didn't place in the ED? You get them in the unit! The interesting patients that aren't draining you of your will to live? In the unit! All the fun is gone? Send them to the floor!

I for one hope this will be a real practice option once I make through school.

We have over 120 ER/Crit Care docs in our registry. Each year fellowship applications were growing in leaps and bounds. Now, after some restructuring to comply with ACGME requirements, I think we'll see a lot more.

KG

There are some. I certainly do inpatient consults and even a few outpatient visits. It I didn't have all my loans, I'd consider going back for critical care so that I could get an expansion of my inpatient privileges and not be at the mercy of the ICU fellow when I want to move a sick patient from an outside hospital.

There are a few of us wacky ones out there.

There are some. I certainly do inpatient consults and even a few outpatient visits. It I didn't have all my loans, I'd consider going back for critical care so that I could get an expansion of my inpatient privileges and not be at the mercy of the ICU fellow when I want to move a sick patient from an outside hospital.

Dude, a toxie AND CC doc? You would kick even MORE ass!

Interesting. Inpatient consults may be feasible. Just wondering how you cover an inpatient CC service, AND work in the ER doing shifts.

Interesting. Inpatient consults may be feasible. Just wondering how you cover an inpatient CC service, AND work in the ER doing shifts.

Many intensivist programs are going to shift work also, so one potential schedule could be 7 days on CC, week off, 8 days ER, week off etc...

You wouldn't do both in the same day.

KG

Many intensivist programs are going to shift work also, so one potential schedule could be 7 days on CC, week off, 8 days ER, week off etc...

You wouldn't do both in the same day.

KG

We have a faculty member from who did the Henry Ford EM/IM/CC route at my institution who does the above: one week with 3-4 ED shifts, then one week of 12-hour/day NTICU coverage, then back to the ED.

He's got me interested in this route...

So essentially the CC fellowship allows us to work in the ICU.

And we're not the same as the Pulm/CC docs?

What's the compensation of ICU docs like?

This has got me really interested. I would definitely like to know a lot more about the intensive side of ER care and this type of fellowship would really do just that.

We have over 120 ER/Crit Care docs in our registry. Each year fellowship applications were growing in leaps and bounds. Now, after some restructuring to comply with ACGME requirements, I think we'll see a lot more.

KG

What sort of restructuring? Of the fellowship or an EM -> CC track?

What sort of restructuring? Of the fellowship or an EM -> CC track?

As per the recently struck deal between ABIM and ABEM, the new EM/CCM fellow will be allowed into IM/CC fellowships approved by ACGME. Only those EM/CCM grads who successfully complete 2 yrs of the said IM/CCM fellowship will be eligible for certification (IM/CC).

The majority of current EM fellowships are not under the direction of an IM/CCM based ACGME approved program. This will have to change, and I think it will. But it may take a few application cycles for most.

KG

20% (OK, only 2, but still) of our graduating class is going into CC. One of our attendings does one week ICU, one week research, one week off, one week ER shift per month. The residents who are going the critical care route plan to work a part of the month in the ICU, and part in the ER. If you are into that, it sounds like a fun gig.

20% (OK, only 2, but still) of our graduating class is going into CC. One of our attendings does one week ICU, one week research, one week off, one week ER shift per month. The residents who are going the critical care route plan to work a part of the month in the ICU, and part in the ER. If you are into that, it sounds like a fun gig.
That sounds awesome.

I'm really excited about this possibility of a CC fellowship. I was debating between going into anesthesiology to do critical care versus EM, and now it seems like it's possible to do it all!