CC or 4 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnnn32125

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a pickle.

I am currently enrolled in a community college in Kansas and have a transfer in with a school in California for fall of this year.

The school i am enrolled in at CA doesn't have any openings for the pre-req classes that i need to finish this year unfortunetly. This school does not have a pre-pharm program or pharm school but it has networking which could possibly get in to one of the schools of my choice there.

Staying here in Kansas at the CC i can finish my pre-reqs in a semester system but i know i probably wont stay in the state.

I guess i am asking, which is the better choice? better education in Kansas(in my opinion), or better networking/chances in CA?

My family does live in CA so could i possibly apply from here as a resident of CA? I am so confused and don't know what to do its giving me migraines.

Any information would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to say stay where you are and finish the prerequisites. Get the best grades you can and then apply abroad. It makes no sense to move all the way to Cali and can't take any of your required classes. This means you would have to put off your prerequisites for a whole semester. Ultimately its your choice, but I would try to finish my prerequisites as fast as possible because its not getting any easier to get into pharmacy school.

HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks tootoo

Does it matter really if you finish your prerequisites at a community college or at a 4 year in grad school acceptance process?

thanks tootoo

Does it matter really if you finish your prerequisites at a community college or at a 4 year in grad school acceptance process?

some schools are picky about that and want to see upper devision prereqs at Univ, like biochem. Some schools do not care at all.

I wouldn't really rely on any school networking. that sounds fishy, i never heard of such a thing.

Which pharm school do u want to attend? If it's in CA, you will most likely need a BA/BS degree, but u won't need PCAT. On the east coast, it might be the other way around.

I'd recommend trying to find another school in CA that offers prereqs or even another CC if you ultimately want to attend school here. UC/CSU has excellent transfer programs with CC, some are guaranteed.

Yes, I have heard specific schools want there prerequisites taken at a univesity, with that said, check out the websites of the schools that you want to apply. Also do a search on SDN, this topic has been discussed before. There are tons of people that got into pharmacy school after doing their prerequisites at a CC. I'm doing mine at a CC too. Stevey has more knowledge of CA schools so you may want to look into his advice too.

HTH

Well i'd be attending UC Davis in the fall if i left. By networking i meant that i know people who have a job set up for me in Sacramento. ultimetly i think i just want to go to Cal North State, but i dont think i can get in from here...as well i have a 3.4 GPA

I went the JC/CC route in socal, but i will tell you something, any UC campus is definitely worth attending.

Which campus is it, BCCC? From what I remember, the community colleges up there in Kansas are actually pretty good. I did most of my pre-reqs at a CC before I got in, so I'd talk with the programs you are looking at to see what they say.

its Johnson County Community College, irish

im finding it very hard where to finish...i cant decide :(

Just finish your classes first.
What school were you transferring to?

University of California, Davis....4 yr vs 2yr

Talk to the pharmacy programs you are looking to apply to and see what they say. If you can do them at JCCC, then do it. It will be cheaper and believe me, you want as little debt to pay back as you can.