CC to Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnguyen454

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering is it possible to transfer into Pharmacy school or PharmD program from community college?

Some Schools like MCPHS allow PharmD accelerated but, you most likely have to go through an undergraduate or a 0-6 program?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea it is completely possible and pretty common. As long as you have all the pre Reqs you can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some examples of other schools that allow? because some schools require a BA but others just give you a set of pre-reqs ?

I did it. Got accepted this year. Just make sure you have some volunteering and pharmacy experience to make up for not having a degree.

Have you got a source for that? I have yet to meet a grad (in person) that didn't do their pre-reqs at a university. I know that people go to CC before pharmacy school, but I don't think it is more common than university.
I did all my prereqs at a CC. It's now a state college but when I went it was a CC.

I don't agree with this because about 70% of my class has some sort of BS.

That's a lot of BS. Make sure you bring a shovel and tall boots to class!

Reactions: 1 user
Have you got a source for that? I have yet to meet a grad (in person) that didn't do their pre-reqs at a university. I know that people go to CC before pharmacy school, but I don't think it is more common than university.

I think it's quite common... I've seen plenty, and most get accepted to barely accredited programs with pretty poor stats.

Last edited:
I think it's quite common... I've seen plenty, and most get accepted to barely accredited programs with pretty poor stats.
You can get accepted to great schools too.

A lot of schools are requiring biochem and micro now as prereqs and those classes are not offered at CC since they are upper level courses. You would have to take those at a university or state college. So it will more than likely become less likely in the near future.

Most schools in my area accept very few students without a BS degree. They are not necessarily required, but you may find yourself in an uphill battle if you're trying to get into a top-ranked school. I can't say much about the candidate and pre-candidate schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get accepted to great schools too.

A lot of schools are requiring biochem and micro now as prereqs and those classes are not offered at CC since they are upper level courses. You would have to take those at a university or state college. So it will more than likely become less likely in the near future.

Not with 2.5 gpa from CC, PCAT composite <50%ile, and no BS/BA. Most people with these stats get into candidate, pre-candidate and newly accredited schools.

That's a good thing, and I think it's a move in the right direction.

Not with 2.5 gpa from CC, PCAT composite <50%ile, and no BS/BA. Most people with these stats get into candidate, pre-candidate and newly accredited schools.

That's a good thing, and I think it's a move in the right direction.
Lol. Well yea. Even students from a university with those crappy stats won't get into a good established school.

Reactions: 1 user
I did all my prereqs at a CC and am starting pharmacy school in the fall. No bachelors degree needed.

If you don't finish your requirements can you finish them in pharmacy school? or you just have to finish them in the school your at no matter what.

If you don't finish your requirements can you finish them in pharmacy school? or you just have to finish them in the school your at no matter what.

Usually they will make you finish all the prereq before you start your 1st yr of pharmacy school. But call the specific school up and ask them. It is their school, their rules.

I was wondering is it possible to transfer into Pharmacy school or PharmD program from community college?

Some Schools like MCPHS allow PharmD accelerated but, you most likely have to go through an undergraduate or a 0-6 program?
Yes it is very possible. Many P1s do it every year. However be prepared to get on the grind like never before. Going from CC to 17hours+ of grad level courses will be intense. Like everything else you will have an adjustment time, but it is doable as long as you are disciplined, use time management accordingly, and study your butt off.

I think almost all schools want you to finish the pre-req course work before you enter their school. And the pre-reqs for every school is different some require 60 or 90 credit hours of pre-req course work some require a BA/BS. They really like to see volunteer work, heavy course loads, and high grades as well as high PCAT scores and shadowing a pharmacist or working as a tech.

As for CC's, I love CC's I've done most of my pre-reqs at CC and went to a university to finish up with my BA (the school I want to go to requires 90 credits of pre-reqs, so I thought I'd finish up) Also, I know a few pharmacists and doctors that started out in CC's and they are some of the most brilliant, caring people I know :) There is nothing wrong with going to Community College - it's always smart to save money - especially since you'll be shoveling out a bunch once you get into pharmacy school.

I did many of my prerequisites at community college. Scored 4.0s the whole time and a PCAT in the 90s. Interviewed at all places I applied, and was accepted to "good" schools.

I wouldn't say community college holds you back from pharmacy school at all, if you know what you want and work to make it happen.

Last edited:
So here's my story. I have a nursing associates(RN) and have taken all of my prephamacy classes at a cc. I have an overall 3.9 gpa and 4.0 in math and science.

Problem is I've been at the cc for a long time. I plan to apply to UMKC our KU but feel like being just at a cc not look good. Planning to take PCAT in July. Plus I have an F on one of my nursing classes when I decided to get a bachelors in nursing. I later decided against it and did not drop the class so I regrettably failed the class. I dont intend to retake the class cuz I'm done with nursing. I just don't know how this will go against me.

So here's my story. I have a nursing associates(RN) and have taken all of my prephamacy classes at a cc. I have an overall 3.9 gpa and 4.0 in math and science.

Problem is I've been at the cc for a long time. I plan to apply to UMKC our KU but feel like being just at a cc not look good. Planning to take PCAT in July. Plus I have an F on one of my nursing classes when I decided to get a bachelors in nursing. I later decided against it and did not drop the class so I regrettably failed the class. I dont intend to retake the class cuz I'm done with nursing. I just don't know how this will go against me.
You know exactly where you want to go. Why don't you ask these schools directly about the strength of your application? You could also just apply, and if you don't get in, you can ask what to do to improve your application...they may say go get a bachelor's, or maybe not!

I completed all of my pre-requisites at a CC, transferred to a 4-year to finish off my bachelor's before applying. I got into every school I applied to. But I also rocked my PCAT, got a solid GPA, and had lots of pharmacy experience. So I don't think it will hold you back.

I am glad I went to a CC for my associates. I saved a TON of money, I had a bit more time to mature before leaving my home-town, AND I didn't have to deal with all those curve-busting pre-meds.