CC -> UCLA ->whats next? pre dent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm basically a career changer after finishing undergrad, and now want to pursue dentistry w/o much science courses on my transcript.

Background: I transferred and graduated to UCLA (from a CC) with a BA in anthropology.
The only sciences I've taken are:
1) cc (course-grade): calc 1a - A,
2) ucla: " ": calc 3b -B, calc 3c-D, chem 14a (intro) - D+ (totally screwed this one up)

My overall gpa at CC was a 4.0, and my overall gpa at UCLA was a 2.3...so OVERALL overall is 3.1

What are recommendations with schools to finish my pre-dental path?

**It seems that I am the top of my class at CC, and the worst at UCLA. I figured since GPA is probably most important at the moment, a CC or a CSU (mid-level) college with hard work will get me a solid (and "better") science gpa (ochem, chem, physics, bio, calc). On a side note: However I heard that dental schools don't really like CC's that much..???

If I should take some courses at CC, what is recommended? Should i take the first introductory course for all the sciences or just one full series?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FYI a good CC gpa and bad 4-year gpa is a red flag for many schools. Going back and forth to try and get the best gpa is probably not a good idea either. I would suggest figuring out how to do well at UCLA and get your prerequisites done there. From the people I know who got into professional schools from CC, their gpa stayed consistent at both CC and 4-year universities. Good luck with everything!!

no science courses taken

CC (4.0gpa) transfer to ucla (2.3 gpa) BA in anthropology

no dat

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, I also go to UCLA, coming from a CC.
I'm majoring in history so I also have to do post bacc to finish the pre reqs before I apply.
A lot of schools with CC credit limits set the cap at around 70, so I'm planning to finish my courses at UCLA Extension. Seems pretty affordable and I've heard it's pretty easy to juggle a full time and 3 classes.

Do you have your BA already, or is that the BA you're going for? How many credit hours do you have?

Apply to a post bacc! You may want to look into post bac for students who haven't taken science courses before. Also if you go to UCLA get involved with all the pre- dental opportunities. There are tons, including:
-PDSOP membership
-Basic Dental Principles (BDP) course
-80 hour clinic program
-dental research
-mission trips with ASDA or undergraduate associations
-shadowing nearby dentists (there are tons in LA)
Also DAT can salvage a low GPA. Although you will definitely need to show progress in your grades. I think if grades isn't your strongest point then you should get involved in community service or research. Also strong letters definitely help. It can be difficult at UCLA where the classes are larger, but it can make a difference in whether or not you get an interview. One of my interviewers specifically quoted something a professor said about me in his letter. You can message me if you have specific questions (I graduated from UCLA and am applying to dental school right now).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi.
I transferred to ucla from a cc. Was basically the best of CC and one of the worst at ucla (but graduated). I'm planning to take and finish all my courses at another school.

Going back to cc is a red flag, going back to ucla may be too difficult and ruin my gpa chances at dental school, so settling in between and doing well "somewhere in between" is my decision now.

I need to know what schools are a good "in-between the level of difficulty". I think CSU's are looking pretty close but anyone have specific suggestions? Particularly those with good ties/reputation to dental school

THANK YOU

you should pursue another career then.

since they are all university, the difference in difficulty is not that great that you get C in UCLA (which your GPA indicates) and A in CSU.

btw your major is not even science at UCLA so idk what you do at UCLA and now you come back and blame UCLA being too hard.

you should do more reading online before asking these basic questions that people on here get tired of answering.

the ones that have connection or good ties to schools are called SMP (specialized master program 1 year) that if you do well guarantee you an interview (not acceptance) and it is usually taught at a campus that has a dental school.

2.67 GPA you have a lot of work in front of you so if you seek an easy way out, its best to change your career.

who told you that science courses at CSUs are easier than UCs? they are equally challenging. Going back to UCLA is not a bad option, the only thing is that you need to re-evaluate your study habits. I have been following your posts, and it seems that you flunked bc of prioritizing skills. At this point, you cannot afford to do poorly in your remaining prereqs, so regardless of which school you choose, it's your determination that will decide your fate. I would suggest continue taking classes at UCLA bc you can take up to 4 quarters per year as opposed to 3 semester at CSUs, thus saving you some time. Good luck!

you should pursue another career then.

since they are all university, the difference in difficulty is not that great that you get C in UCLA (which your GPA indicates) and A in CSU.

btw your major is not even science at UCLA so idk what you do at UCLA and now you come back and blame UCLA being too hard.

you should do more reading online before asking these basic questions that people on here get tired of answering.

the ones that have connection or good ties to schools are called SMP (specialized master program 1 year) that if you do well guarantee you an interview (not acceptance) and it is usually taught at a campus that has a dental school.

2.67 GPA you have a lot of work in front of you so if you seek an easy way out, its best to change your career.

I want to do dentistry. I never blamed ucla. it being too hard is my responsibility. I'm trying to be realistic too with the grades that i've received. my overall gpa is 3.1.

Last edited:
who told you that science courses at CSUs are easier than UCs? they are equally challenging. Going back to UCLA is not a bad option, the only thing is that you need to re-evaluate your study habits. I have been following your posts, and it seems that you flunked bc of prioritizing skills. At this point, you cannot afford to do poorly in your remaining prereqs, so regardless of which school you choose, it's your determination that will decide your fate. I would suggest continue taking classes at UCLA bc you can take up to 4 quarters per year as opposed to 3 semester at CSUs, thus saving you some time. Good luck!

Yeah it definitely is prioritizing. I'm glad I grew out of the party scene and lucky that I didn't take much science courses so my science gpa is "safe". lot of work to do now but determined. thanks for the insight!

Yeah it definitely is prioritizing. I'm glad I grew out of the party scene and lucky that I didn't take much science courses so my science gpa is "safe". lot of work to do now but determined. thanks for the insight!

lol you didn't grow out of party scene your party scene leaves you upon graduation.

be careful not to relapse into that and have a not safe science GPA anymore.

lol you didn't grow out of party scene your party scene leaves you upon graduation.

be careful not to relapse into that and have a not safe science GPA anymore.
Sorry dark knight, i guess you're the real batman and know everything about me. and *friends don't leave upon graduation

Not trying to start an argument or derail the thread but saying there's no gap in difficulty between some UCs and CSUs is flat out false. You might learn the same content but when I'm in a class where only 15% of people can get As at ucla vs 15% A's at a csu (not sure if they do this percentage thing), of course I'd feel more confident about getting an A at the csu. Hell, I took a class at another UC during a summer session with a group of friends and out of the 10 As in the class, 7 of them were from UCLA and only 7 students from LA were enrolled

Reactions: 4 users
Do you have your BA already, or is that the BA you're going for? How many credit hours do you have?
I graduated and received my BA - 80 units at cc and 80 units at ucla

Last edited:
You're not thinking ahead; being accepted is only the beginning. If you find the courses in dental school to be too challenging what are you going to do? Transfer?

3.1 overall is salvageable with a post-bac or master's and excellent DAT. Good luck.

As a UCLA science major who did a postbacc at a CSU, I can tell you definitively that CSU science courses are by far easier than those at UCLA. If you were to scale them between CC and UCLA, they'd be noticeably closer the the CC difficulty. But as several have mentioned in this thread, if you can't handle the beginning core science classes at UCLA, you will find the first year of dental school to be extremely difficult. Eventually to succeed, you'll have to step up your game.