CC vs. 4-year (vs. Degree or no degree)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacazoid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I've noticed there seems to be some small debate whether community college prepares you just as well as a 4 year college. Well, if everyone is willing I'd like people to post their composite PCAT score and state if they're from a CC or a 4-year school and/or they have a degree or not. Perhaps, posting our composite (high or low) will shed some light on this topic.

Composite - 97

UNC-Chapel Hill - BS. Biology

Members don't see this ad.

mommy2boys said:
Composite 98 --

B.S. Biomedical Science -- Texas A&M University '96 (yeah I'm old)

CC doesn't make a difference. The courses you take in four years are hardly specialized. You do the learning, it's the quality of the text you learn from, not your instructor. I have a friend who went to a CC with me and got a 91 composite.

Benzoic Acid said:
CC doesn't make a difference. The courses you take in four years are hardly specialized. You do the learning, it's the quality of the text you learn from, not your instructor. I have a friend who went to a CC with me and got a 91 composite.
Well I have to disagree about classes not being more specialized, after 2 yrs. and a major is declared the brunt of your classes are more specific and detailed to your major. However, its true you don't need these upper level classes to take the PCAT. I do believe a good instuctor can do wonders, most schools here whether cc or univeristy tend to use the same text (ie Cell, Organic Chemisty (Brown and Foote). On the other hand, being in a univeristy doesn't guarntee the best instructors. I do belive alot has to do with the individual, its just a passing curiosity to know what type of schooling everyone has had prior to taking the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Composite: 88
Business Degree but science courses completed at CC. Should I take the PCAT again to get above a 90 or is my score competitive for most school? Especially since my courses were at a CC, I didn't know if I need to compensate for that with a higer PCAT.

Composite: 93

BS Cell Bio and Physiology (almost done...1 more semester) at ASU. I dont think that a university prepares you any better than a CC for the PCATs. whenever I've taken classes at a CC i've felt that I learned quite a bit because classes were smaller and the teacher paid much more attention to individual students.

However, I do wonder if pharm schools look at where you took your classes, because I do think that in most of my classes it was harder to get an A at ASU than at a CC. What do you think? Do pharm schools take into consideration where you've taken your classes?

x17lilac17x said:
Composite: 93

BS Cell Bio and Physiology (almost done...1 more semester) at ASU. I dont think that a university prepares you any better than a CC for the PCATs. whenever I've taken classes at a CC i've felt that I learned quite a bit because classes were smaller and the teacher paid much more attention to individual students.

However, I do wonder if pharm schools look at where you took your classes, because I do think that in most of my classes it was harder to get an A at ASU than at a CC. What do you think? Do pharm schools take into consideration where you've taken your classes?
Well I'd like to think that the rigor of curriculum plays into the admission process. Well its seems we have a couple a posts, so far all compettive scores (congrats to you all). I hope everyone keeps posting I'd like to see how this thread plays out.

92 composite

no degree

4.0 GPA at a CC.

Just got done with Orgo1 over the summer. The light class load allowed me to study for June PCAT

I need to take Orgo2/Physics2/AmGovt/Ethics/GenPsych (next semester)

The first two years it doesnt matter. 1000 and 2000 level classes are the same regardless of where you take them. CC is cheaper and University's are overcrowded. I had great teachers. They weren't easy...just great teachers. I would like to believe the student helped a little too.