CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've had some people contact me to ask questions about CCLCM, so I thought I'd start this thread so that I only have to answer each question once! I am an M1 here, and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. I've also been keeping a blog about what it's like to go to school here, so if you're interested, feel free to read it. The link is in my signature

Good luck with your applications.

-CCLCMer
 

SmoothNC

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2005
122
0
Status
Pre-Medical
CCLCMer said:
I've had some people contact me to ask questions about CCLCM, so I thought I'd start this thread so that I only have to answer each question once! I am an M1 here, and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. I've also been keeping a blog about what it's like to go to school here, so if you're interested, feel free to read it. The link is in my signature

Good luck with your applications.

-CCLCMer
Hey...I interviewed at CCLCM, was high alternate list (within the top 15-20), but never made the final cut....I liked the school a lot when I interviewed there...and I thought it was a good fit for me...but after reading your blog, I am kind of glad that I didn't get in....doesn't seem to suit me. But, enough about me, the point is that every person interested in CCLCM should really read this person's blog....it is very helpful and provides great insight into what life is like in this program. Question though....how did the M3's do on their boards this summer? Did the scores fall in line with the national average or were they higher?
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SmoothNC said:
Hey...I interviewed at CCLCM, was high alternate list (within the top 15-20), but never made the final cut....I liked the school a lot when I interviewed there...and I thought it was a good fit for me...but after reading your blog, I am kind of glad that I didn't get in....doesn't seem to suit me. But, enough about me, the point is that every person interested in CCLCM should really read this person's blog....it is very helpful and provides great insight into what life is like in this program. Question though....how did the M3's do on their boards this summer? Did the scores fall in line with the national average or were they higher?
I'm sorry that you didn't get in off the alternate list, but I have to believe that these kinds of things work out the way they do for a reason. I hope you will be very successful and happy wherever you've ended up. :)

The school has not yet officially released any information about board scores because some of the students haven't taken them yet. But from what I've heard anecdotally from the M3s I've spoken to, the ones who took it so far have been doing really, really well.

-CCLCMer
 
About the Ads

farikanok

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2006
262
0
Status
great blog ;) i'm considering applying to the program this cycle, although i am worried about my low MCAT scores (VR 8, BS 12, PS 10, Q). i was wondering if you know about the MCAT ranges for the CCLCM program. thanks
 

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
528
2
Cleveland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Another M-1 here. I know the highest MCAT in our class was in the low 40's, there are a handful in the 35-39 range that i've heard and I think the average was above the national average. Haven't heard anything about the lowest. I think the most important thing is your research abilities though.

On the topic of the board scores, no one has failed so far and all of the scores i have heard have been between 220 and 250, of course the people that actually let others know their scores are the ones that probably did the best. I guess they'll tell us the average when they get them all in.

Hope this helps
 
Z

Zyzzyva100

I checked the box on my Case application after a friend told me more about the program. I'm already a Case grad student and hoping to leave the sinking ship that is the rest of Case (luckily the med school seems to be safe). What I find amusing about the whole thing is that CCLCM had to go through Case to be accredited. In my field at least (biomed engineering) Case and CCF seem to have a very love/hate relationship - like my PI who jumped ship from CCF to Case even though her husband is still a surgeon over there.

Random question about CCLCM, if you already have a masters degree, what do you think they would have you do about the research year?
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
farikanok said:
great blog ;) i'm considering applying to the program this cycle, although i am worried about my low MCAT scores (VR 8, BS 12, PS 10, Q). i was wondering if you know about the MCAT ranges for the CCLCM program. thanks
The admissions office doesn't release this information, so I don't know. I can tell you though that there is no minimum MCAT to apply here. So if you have a strong research interest and you think you might want to go here then you should definitely apply. I wrote one post in my blog about what the school was looking for, so that might be helpful to you if you haven't read it already. But in a nutshell, it's basically people who are intellectually curious, passionate about what they do, and good about working in groups. Good luck to you with your applications!

-CCLCMer
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Zyzzyva100 said:
I checked the box on my Case application after a friend told me more about the program. I'm already a Case grad student and hoping to leave the sinking ship that is the rest of Case (luckily the med school seems to be safe). What I find amusing about the whole thing is that CCLCM had to go through Case to be accredited. In my field at least (biomed engineering) Case and CCF seem to have a very love/hate relationship - like my PI who jumped ship from CCF to Case even though her husband is still a surgeon over there.

Random question about CCLCM, if you already have a masters degree, what do you think they would have you do about the research year?
There are several people in our class who have graduate degrees. Our class is very small (just 32 students), and out of those, I know there are two who have PhDs, and several more who have MS degrees too. But even if you come here with a PhD, you are still expected to do the research year. You don't have to get another MS though if you don't want to. I'm sure that most of the people who already have graduate degrees don't want to get another one. But they will still all be doing the research year. If the fifth year of school bothers you, that's something you should take into consideration.

-CCLCMer
 

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
290
1
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
I applied to Case...then checked off CCLCM after seeing it on the secondary and reading some about it. When I interviewed, I like it. Have a friend going into MS II there. Sounds like a pretty good place, but I wasn't accepted.
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sentrosi said:
I applied to Case...then checked off CCLCM after seeing it on the secondary and reading some about it. When I interviewed, I like it. Have a friend going into MS II there. Sounds like a pretty good place, but I wasn't accepted.
I'm sorry. :( You're going to a great school, though, and I hope you enjoy it there. :)
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
41
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
JDWflash44 said:
Another M-1 here. I know the highest MCAT in our class was in the low 40's, there are a handful in the 35-39 range that i've heard and I think the average was above the national average. Haven't heard anything about the lowest. I think the most important thing is your research abilities though.

On the topic of the board scores, no one has failed so far and all of the scores i have heard have been between 220 and 250, of course the people that actually let others know their scores are the ones that probably did the best. I guess they'll tell us the average when they get them all in.

Hope this helps
Interestingly, apparently the University program (case) and College program (clinic) students have virtually idential average Step 1 scores. Considering how radically different the two curriculum are, its a good sign!
 

hanjoko

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2005
140
0
Status
Zyzzyva100 said:
Random question about CCLCM, if you already have a masters degree, what do you think they would have you do about the research year?
I think you still have to do the research...I was interviewed both at Case and Clinic. CCLCM definitely focuses a lot on research and I really like the program there...The funny thing is that I got accepted at Clinic but rejected at Case. :cool:

I stayed with very nice student hosts and people who actually end up in the Clinic seem to really LOVE the program (and I like it a lot when I interviewed)...the only reason that I did not want to go there in the end was the location and the relatively new program, but otherwise it is a great school!! :thumbup:
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
exmike said:
Interestingly, apparently the University program (case) and College program (clinic) students have virtually idential average Step 1 scores. Considering how radically different the two curriculum are, its a good sign!
They aren't radically different any more. You're an M3, right? So you weren't affected then. But as of this year, the M1s are doing the new Western Reserve 2 curriculum, and it's a lot more like CCLCM than the old UP used to be. There is a video of Dean Horwitz talking about the WR2 curriculum on the main Case SOM website too, if you're interested.

-CCLCMer
 

PBandJ

hot dog back in action!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2005
5,521
5
toast or english muffins
Status
MD/PhD Student
CCLCMer, thanks for starting this thread! I am very interested in the program...I'm applying mostly MD/PhD, but any MD program that focuses on research sounds good to me. I'm going to take a look at your blog whenever I have a chance.

Like one of the previous posters, my MCAT score is definitely a weak point of my application. But I do have a ton of research experience and strong intentions on pursuing a research career, so hopefully they will take a look at my app! :)
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
scentimint said:
CCLCMer, thanks for starting this thread! I am very interested in the program...I'm applying mostly MD/PhD, but any MD program that focuses on research sounds good to me. I'm going to take a look at your blog whenever I have a chance.

Like one of the previous posters, my MCAT score is definitely a weak point of my application. But I do have a ton of research experience and strong intentions on pursuing a research career, so hopefully they will take a look at my app! :)
Hi scentimint,

(Cute name!) Like I've said before, there is no minimum MCAT cutoff for the program. So if you have a good research background and the rest of your application (LORs, grades, etc.) is strong, I think you should definitely apply here. Good luck with your app, and let me know if you have any questions. :)

-CCLCMer
 
OP
CCLCMer

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just wanted to let those of you waiting to hear about interviews know that the first interview date is tentatively set to be September 25, but it may change. The admissions office confirmed that no invites have been sent out yet. :)
 
About the Ads