CCOM-Need help again!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebola95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, it is me again....i need to know about buying books...do i get a list at orientation and buy them all at the bookstore? Do i have to run around town and try and find them myself....how much can i expect to spend...and (here's the big one)...CAN I JUST "CHARGE" THE BOOKS AT THE BOOKSTORE TO MY FINANCIAL AID or do i have to front the money first and wait until my refund check comes in....just wondering...the money is kinda tight right now so i know what to expect next week....

again, thank you everyone who has been more the patient with my umpteen questions on this site!

John

Members don't see this ad.

John,

Don't buy anything until you go to class the first day. The Profs will tell you exactly what you will need. The MS2s will also tell you what you will need.

Bring a credit card but you don't need a huge limit. The greatest expense is the equipment you will need for your Intro to Clinical Medicine class. You will need a stethoscope etc, but some people will get together to buy diagnostic kits. You will learn all about this in your first week.

Anyway, I Hope this helps.

Bill

Definitely wait to hear from MS2s & MS3s about what books to buy. You can save a boatload of money this way. Oftentimes you don't need to buy the big huge reference text-- between lecture notes (most schools have a note taking service, or you can start one) and old exams (most schools have an old test bank), you can learn what you need to know, or so they tell me. I've had several current & former med students tell me they bought giant textbooks they never had time, need, or inclination to open. And don't forget about hand-me-downs! You can get many things for free or cheap from upperclassmen. I just got a suture tying kit, a complete set of board review books, 3 short white coats, and surgery clogs for free from a 4th year! Make sure to pass on the good karma...
smile.gif

ebola--

deep breath...

bring your credit card but just try to get used stuff from upperclassman..i bought virtually nothing--if you really need a text to study from b/c you study that way, you will want to buy most texts..

however, if you really really need a text most occasionally, just zerox at the library or from someone who bought the book..the only thing i bought was netters, a biochem review, and then one or two other board reviews at that time..you don't in general need texts--you don't have time to read them with 2-3 exams/wk and the faculty spoon feeds you all the info they want you to know on their handouts..almost all exams come from the handouts and the others from old test questions or from thin air..

if you are thinking you want to be at the top of the class by doing the extra reading, hate to bust your bubble, but you won;t have time with the exam schedule..relax, read the notes, get in the groove, and you will do just fine and know it all..

good luck