CCOM vs. AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between these 2 schools?

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing they have in common is the parent University (Midwestern) and its president. Other than that they are two seperate institutions and programs.

actually, i must disagree with doatc..

AZCOM and CCOM are not really totally separate..the money being made at AZCOM is supposed to float CCOM in a time of financial need..truly it is the other way around....

yes, the CEO of CCOM is also the CEO of AZCOM and thereby makes not a single salary, but a dual salary--and a million dollar one it is..

AZCOM does not have much in the way of clinical rotations due to some political problem with the Arizona allopathic med school cornering the market..as i understand from my buds there, you spend the majority of your third year with a family doc "preceptor" when you enter your 4th yr, then you get to do some of the heavy hitting..mmmm..

as for CCOM, times are tough too, sale of hospital to an indianna based system..

i am assuming you wished to know the academic differences?

rumor has it that AZCOM beat CCOM 2x to the #1 board score slots..this may be due to the fact that at CCOM we complete the first 2 years each in 31 weeks with 2 exams/wk while at AZCOM they get things like more than 10 days to study for boards..it is also a bit more important for AZCOM to show boards potential since it is a new school..

the two schools are wholly linked..we share a newspaper--vital signs..the CEO's big thing is that MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY is one big family under which CCOM and AZCOM are simple colleges to be lumped in with the allied health colleges...mmm

hope this helps..

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to disagree with Spunkydoc...

I see absolutely no similarities in CCOM and AZCOM other than we are both osteopathic schools. The point I am trying to make is that going to AZCOM is not the same as going to CCOM. As for our hospital, the system interested in bying our facility is quite large and will actually benefit our program by offering even more sites for rotations.
Spunky refered to the paper that represents Midwestern University, if you read the paper you will find very little about CCOM. The paper is filled with information about all the other Midwestern colleges and not the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine.

spunkydoc,

Where do you get your information about the salary of the president? You write as if you know these things as facts and it doesn't seem like you do. It is silly to say that because there are two sites that the person is payed two independent salaries. That is simply not the way that any business organization works. Also, where do you come up with the million dollar number?

As for the sale of Olympia Fields, it would seem that as a student at CCOM you would know that OF was sold a few years ago, partly to raise money and clear debt for the expansion into Arizona. It is still a training facility but the school has no financial investment.

I am not a student at either school, I just happen to know a little about the FACTS. Why do you mislead people when you don't know the facts?

Strive,

Well, I have to defend Spunkydoc. I am a MS2 at CCOM and She is right about the Presidents salary. Actually it is around 800K. Olympia Fields is currently owned by Columbia and IS in the process of being sold. Columbia is getting out of the Chicago market so OLY has to go. I think that you need to get your facts straight also.

I sent my apps in to both schools in August at the same time. Interviewed in Arizona in September, yet have not heard a peep from Chicago yet.

doatc,
I hate to respond again regarding this, but I just can't let it go. You told me that "I" need to get my facts straight and that you are "defending" spunkydoc. Well, let me review the two comments that I made.

#1 - I stated that I questioned the million dollar number and asked for information about where the facts come from. Well, you state that the salary is in fact about 800,000 (also, where do you get this number. I am hesitant to believe it). This is NOT 1 million. So, my supposition is, in FACT, correct.

#2 - You confirm that OF is not part of Midwestern University and confirm that it is being sold by Columbia. Therefore, the sale has no bearing on the financial status of the university. So, once again, my FACTS are correct.

Please pardon the tirade, but I really try to have an open mind and I am always looking for more accurate information. I try to never give information that I do not KNOW is accurate. When I am wrong, I will glady admit it and appreciate the correction. Therefore, when I am correct in my statements I don't like it to be twisted that I am in fact incorrect.

A problem that I have noticed in various posts on this BB is that threads get going based on uninformed comments. I usually ignore them, but occasionally I foolishly jump in with a comment.

Have a good day.

necee,

I am sorry that this topic got off the subject of you original question. I also apologize for Strive. It seems that he is a little high strung, but I don't know that for a fact so disregard my last statement. For anyone who is interested in the exact answers about CCOM, send me an e-mail and I will forward the supporting documentation.

doatc, strive, whomever,

the facts on salaries, etc. are readily published by the CEO and university..

the salary was in fact published in the vital signs newspaper put out by the university...you can look it up on the internet.

as for OF and its sale and the university investment--it works this way..

first you must understand that midwestern university includes ALL the colleges, including the college of medicine, CCOM..this is a recent development..

so, CCOM used to have its main hospital which it owned at HYDE PARK..this folded and CCOM was maintaining OFOMC..OFOMC by the way is staffed MOSTLY by DOs and mostly ones who trained at CCOM..aside from that, OFOMC is now the core hospital of CCOM..that is where students do the majority of core rotations..it is always talked about as "our hospital"..true, columbia owned OFOMC..now it is being sold to the sisters --same ones that own the advocate and ST James systems..who owns the hospital has little bearing on the teaching within it..those on staff at OFOMC are also considered CCOM faculty and are paid to be on the faculty..so, to say that CCOM does not have any interest in OFO is completely off base..there is a financial interest as well as an educational one..

if you are confused, call up and ask about these things..

as for doatc and not thinking there are differences between AZCOM and CCOM, go and look up their curriculum vs ours, look at their schedule and vacation time vs ours, look at their rotation schedule and sites vs ours...there are major differences between the two which i think are pretty indisputable..

neecee--these issues are not really off the subject..when choosing a school which involves your career, it is important to consider ALL the issues and pick the school that best suits your goals and needs..a medical school is merely a TOOL to an end--the making of an excellent physician..you need to find a school who provides enough resources for you to exploit and get you to where you want to go..

hope this helps..

Okay, here is my last post on the subject.
Spunky, look at my original post and you will see that I originally made the statement that the two schools are completely different. Your last post states that I said the opposite. Anyway, I agree with you that you need to find the school that best suits your needs and goals. What year are you in? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by doatc (edited 01-07-2000).]