ccom vs. dmu--help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
was accepted to both last week, and am having trouble making a decision. dmu "felt" better while i was there, and i was impressed with everything about the school (except location). ccom was fine, but i just didn't get a great feeling about going to school there, and the price tag is a bit steep. however, i think i want to specialize, and am very impressed with ccom's match list for specialties--seems a bit stronger than dmu's (perhaps because of the availabilty of programs in the chicago area).

any suggestions? what am i missing?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that both a awesome schools and you can specialize no matter which school you decide to attend, it all depends on you and the effort that you will put in, also how well you will do on your boards. I felt that the price for CCOM was a bit too high so I decided on DMU, but I a friend of mine is going to CCOM and it seems to be a very good school. Also consider the fact that CCOM is operation on a quarter system and not a semester system like DMU. This means that their acedemic calendar is very rigorous and you spend almost 8 am to 5 pm in classes daily if you will choose to attend all your classes. They also get tested every Monday so this was too stressful of a schedule for me.

javandane said:
was accepted to both last week, and am having trouble making a decision. dmu "felt" better while i was there, and i was impressed with everything about the school (except location). ccom was fine, but i just didn't get a great feeling about going to school there, and the price tag is a bit steep. however, i think i want to specialize, and am very impressed with ccom's match list for specialties--seems a bit stronger than dmu's (perhaps because of the availabilty of programs in the chicago area).

any suggestions? what am i missing?

robo77 said:
They also get tested every Monday so this was too stressful of a schedule for me.
That is stressful enough. But they get it every Monday AND Friday at 7:30AM. Shake isn't a morning person.

That being said... the clinical rotation experience you will get is second to none amongst DO schools. You will be rotating at the top hospitals in Chicago alongside MD students. Ultimately your specializing is up to you, perform well and it doesn't matter where you go, so go wherever you feel most comfortable.
javandane- weren't we both sweating the CCOM acceptance call? It'd be a darn shame if neither of us ended up going.

Members don't see this ad :)
MasterShakeDO said:
That is stressful enough. But they get it every Monday AND Friday at 7:30AM. Shake isn't a morning person.

That being said... the clinical rotation experience you will get is second to none amongst DO schools. You will be rotating at the top hospitals in Chicago alongside MD students. Ultimately your specializing is up to you, perform well and it doesn't matter where you go, so go wherever you feel most comfortable.
javandane- weren't we both sweating the CCOM acceptance call? It'd be a darn shame if neither of us ended up going.

There are a lot of exams here at CCOM, but they are NOT every Monday and Friday. The schedule has 2 exam days blocked off in the week. That means that IF there is an exam, it will fall on one of those 2 days that are blocked off. ( usually ) And my class has never had Mon-Fri exams. They have all been Mon-Tue or Mon-Wed.

There will be weeks where there are no exams, and then there will be a week or two where you have 4 exams. ( those are limited to the first quarter when you have histology and gross written and practical exams ).

Don't worry about the schedule. It's very "doable". If anything, it makes it much easier to be able to sit and study for boards for long periods of time! :D

Also, classes are not from 8am-5pm everyday. The first year has the longest days, and in the second year we are out of class by 11am or noon 3 days a week.

Just choose the school where you will think you will be happiest. CCOM is great, and yes our clinical rotations are amazing. Another strong point is our clinical instruction though. The professors here are great, and you will never have a tough time walking into an office to sit and ask questions.

If you choose DMU, make sure that you don't have a problem with moving for your 3rd and 4th year. If I'm not mistaken, most students rotate in different parts of the country. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good Luck to you.

My bad... the schedule they gave us during the interview had a M and F exam and they said that was normal.

SM-UCLA tech said:
There are a lot of exams here at CCOM, but they are NOT every Monday and Friday. The schedule has 2 exam days blocked off in the week. That means that IF there is an exam, it will fall on one of those 2 days that are blocked off. ( usually ) And my class has never had Mon-Fri exams. They have all been Mon-Tue or Mon-Wed.
Good Luck to you.

Yeah, we don't have exams every week. And like you said, the Clinical Rotations are the best in teh country, bar none. Most medical schools in the country, be they allopathic or osteopathic, would trade their rotation experience for ours any day. We have one of the top clinical rotation experiences available to students.

Read my blog for clinical rotation stories.

MaloCCOM said:
Yeah, we don't have exams every week. And like you said, the Clinical Rotations are the best in teh country, bar none. Most medical schools in the country, be they allopathic or osteopathic, would trade their rotation experience for ours any day. We have one of the top clinical rotation experiences available to students.

Read my blog for clinical rotation stories.

The "best" in the country Mo??? I know we have GREAT rotations but the best? :D

But you should know better than I.... :laugh: :laugh:

SM-UCLA tech said:
The "best" in the country Mo??? I know we have GREAT rotations but the best? :D

But you should know better than I.... :laugh: :laugh:

I've talked to my buddies at Rush, Northwestern, Case, OUCOM, Ohio State, Michigan, MSUCOM, Loyola, Finch, MCO, and all around the midwest. I guess maybe I should say we have the best rotations in the midwest. I'm sure you'll enjoy them next year. You'll see.