CCOM vs. DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOcjoshua

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted by both schools and was wondering if there were any people that are or were in the same dillemma as me and the decision that they made and the reasons why they made their decisions. Thanks.

Josh

Members don't see this ad.

Everything I've heard says go to CCOM. I declined my interview at Iowa once I got my CCOM acceptance. Also, the DO who wrote my letter of rec was a graduate of DMU. He also advised me to turn down DMU and go to CCOM. I don't know to much about DMU, but CCOM has a great reputation and great clinical experience. Lots of hospitals in the city of Chicago. The only downside is the tuition..$30,000!!

That is very interesting information: the alum of DMU recommending CCOM over DMU. He/She must have some experience with graduates from each. $$$ really isn't a deciding factor right now because they both have comparable tuitions and fees. Thanks for the input and if anyone has anything to add to the subject whether it be quality of education to convenience of attending anything. Thanks

Josh

Members don't see this ad :)
Both have comparable tuition and fees until you hit the living expenses!! Yikes! Chi-town has a higher standard of living. It's something to consider since you mentioned finances.

this is true, chicago is expensive. it doesnt helo either that the school is located in one of the wealthiest suburbs (Oak Brook). Rent for a one bedroom apartment in that area goes between $700-1050 a month! but, since there's not a DAMN thing you can do about it, you just suck it up and do it! to really top things off, my wife and i are both starting at CCOM in the fall!! thats gonna be $60,000 a year for us just in tuition!! I just laugh about it, i'll worry about crying later!

A couple of things to consider: CCOM reportedly has an "unfriendly" testing schedule the first 2 years. Something about "Black Mondays" where they have tests all the time on Mondays. However, I believe that AZCOM also tests frequently and u don't hear too many complaints come out of there.

I think the big thing w/ DMU is 3rd and 4th year. 3rd year I think you are likely to get shipped out to somewhere else in the country. I think that only a minority of the students stay in Des Moines. 4th year reportedly is completely up to you to schedule. While this can be an advantage to travel to many spots and maybe get in auditions, many see it as a huge ripoff since that 25K or whatever for tuition doesn't get you jack. A while back there was a poster I believe by the name of Kent Ray that had lots to say about DMU and the clinical years. Personally, I would choose CCOM for the sole fact that rotations are more structured ( I assume).

Hope this helps.

bobo

Yep, kent Ray #962 has lotsa posts about DMU in the osteopathic archives and probably other forums as well.

bobo

the testing schedule is unfriendly, but it basically works out the same as other places. Monday and Friday are supposedly designated testing days. this doesnt mean that you will always have a test every monday or friday, it just means that when you have exams they fall on those days. you do typically have an exam every week. this is actually not bad because once you finish an exam you move onto whatever you have the following week. this keeps you up on the material and prepares you well for the boards. also, since you are only having one exam at a time you aren't studying a bunch of subjects for one big exam every 4 weeks. all the current students there told me that there is still plenty of time to have fun on the weekends. i know im rambling but i hope this helps!