Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

CCOM vs. DMU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by glam88, Dec 28, 2008.

1. glam88

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

I am really confused about which school I should go for. They both seem amazing, but if theres anyone out there with an opinion or is in the same boat please give me your opinions!!!

2. cliquesh

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd go with CCOM simply because the clinical sites are better. Both are fine schools, though.

3. rajaholick

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i was in the same boat a few weeks ago along with a couple other SDNers
    the factor that pushed CCOM to #1 on my list was having the opportunity to do my whole 3rd and 4th years in chicago
    i also really liked their schedule (exams monday and friday nearly every week) because I felt that it would keep me on track with studies moreso than having exams every month
    but ultimately it comes down to which school you got a better feel for
    if you live in the midwest, go and visit again and see how you feel without the added pressure of an interview looming later in the day

4. glam88

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

yup that was one big concern about DMU for me, the clinical sites. Unless there's anyone on here who can tell me otherwise.

5. DrRoast

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Chalk up another vote for CCOM, best clinical sites, and better location in general...in my opinion. DMU is a fine school, just not for me:thumbup:

6. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    DMU is waaaaaay cheaper and its still an awesome school. Keep that in mind. Cost of living and tuition wise. Is $50,000+ more debt in the longrun worth it? Id say only if you were going into some sort of high paying specialty where it wouldn't matter. Being in Primary Care would make things hard to pay off in a reasonable amount of time. $50g's is a new car (or two) or a downpayment on a house!! I had to choose between these two as well (hard decision), and I don't think my clinical rotations will suffer dramatically enough to justify paying that much more.

My 2 cents

7. DrRoast

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thats a total matter of opinion. I also had to choose, and thought the extra dough was worth the premium clinical sites. I think it will open more doors for residencies. Absolutely nothing against DMU though, great school, and I agree 50K is mucho dinero. If money is at the top of the list for importance, then I would agree with you. But again I, personally, thought the extra money was worth the better sites at CCOM.

8. slick27

slick27 controversial
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have an interview comming up at CCOM, but I'm not sure I want to go on it simply because I have already been accepted to DMU. I was impressed with DMU. The DO's I shadowed always told me to pick the older more established schools. In this case when was CCOM established? I know DMU is the second oldest school. However, I'm leaning in the favor of DMU simply because of tuition. 50 grand is a lot of money down the road with interest payments. Plus, I figured DMU was an established osteopathic school so I didn't think the clinical years in third and fourth years would hurt that much. Rescidency will really teach you your skill anyways.

#8 slick27, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  9. Kal222

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

CCOM was accredited in 1903 so I'd say it's very established

10. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yea, they are both super duper old and established. No worries for either school there. Price was one of the biggest factors for me when making this decision. keep in mind that the clinical years at DMU will not be sub-par, it is just that CCOM probably has some of the best rotation opportunities out there. Your experience will not suffer at DMU.

11. applicant09

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I was in the same place a couple of weeks ago! Both DMU and CCOM seem like great schools, and it was a tough decision. I ended up choosing CCOM because of location. I am able to do all rotations in or near the Chicago area and it's closer to my family. I do think that DMU had a more established OMM curriculum and they had great facilities and opportunities! Still, CCOM was the school for me!