CCOM vs NOVA

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Maverick21, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Hey guys,

I have been accepted to both CCOM and NOVA, I love both campuses and the students at both schools see really great. I am trying to decide where to go and I would appreciate anyones input on both schools (strengths AND weaknesses). Also I am planning on pursuing a specialty in Neurology and want to know which school might be better for specialty residencies.

Thanks for your help,

-Mav

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll try to answer any questions you may have about CCOM.

I had to make the same decision a few years ago. I made a list of those things that were important to me, and compared each school on my important criteria.

Residency is determined by many things other than the name of your school. However, you can ask each school for a list of which programs and specialities recent graduates matched with. I remember CCOM providing that with our interview packet.

Congratulations!

4. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus

Remember that most posts on here will be either from CCOM or NSU students... take that into consideration.

I will try to be as objective as I can, however.

You need to determine a couple things, as well as realize a couple things...

Does geography play a role in your decision? Do you have family in FL or Chicago? Have you always wanted to go to FL? Have you always wanted to go to a big Midwest City?

Does tuition play a role... are you instate in FL or IL?

What was your first impression of the students when you were at the interview?

Some things you need to realize. Your first two years will definately be on the campus of the medical school. However, your third year may not be in Chicago or Ft. Lauderdale. As a third year at NSUCOM, I did my core rotations up in Tampa, FL. I don't know how CCOM works, so I can't comment on that.

When it comes to residency, school name plays little role. If you went to a DO residency, there is probably no effect on your ranking. However, at an MD facility, it may play a 0.1% role... so do not let school name control your decision. Also, who knows who has a better reputation... CCOM or NSUCOM? No one would be able to tell you the truth on that, because there probably isn't a ranking...

Hope this helps. If you have any ?s about NSUCOM, feel free to ask me (I am a 4th year applying to EM residencies now).
    Q

5. bigtony

bigtony Member

Congradulations!!!
    Those are both excellent COM's.

6. HockeySniper39

HockeySniper39 Junior Member

I don?t know if this makes a difference in your decision but it was recently brought to my attention that our school (CCOM) is starting a neurology residency next year. I think that you always have an advantage when you know the people who are in charge of making decisions and going to CCOM will give you a chance to work with those people (at least for that residency).

Jim

MWUCCOM MS-1