CCOM vs VCOM Auburn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mxpxdrummer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was fortunate enough to be accepted into both Midwestern University in Downers Grove Illinois and VCOM Auburn, and I was having difficulty deciding which school to attend. CCOM's tuition is about 60k as opposed to 40k at VCOM, but CCOM is a more well-known DO school which may prove beneficial when trying to get into a residency program. Also, CCOM has all its rotation sites within Chicago itself while VCOM Auburn's are scattered throughout the state. I'm really torn between the two and would appreciate it if you all could give me your recommendation and reason for selecting that option.

Thank you!! =]

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe some reasoning? Saving 100K in student loans has to hold some weight. I haven't researched either of those schools, but I would guess VCOM would have my deposit if not for money alone. 20K a year is huge, and I'm guessing COA is more expensive in Chicago.

I know the reasoning is 'CCOM' lol but it may be worth exploring some of OP's personal aspirations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe some reasoning? Saving 100K in student loans has to hold some weight. I haven't researched either of those schools, but I would guess VCOM would have my deposit if not for money alone. 20K a year is huge, and I'm guessing COA is more expensive in Chicago.

I know the reasoning is 'CCOM' lol but it may be worth exploring some of OP's personal aspirations.

I agree.

More established school over the new one

To be fair, CCOM isn't actually located in Chicago. It's in Downers Grove. It's completely possible to find an apartment for under $600/month if you're willing to have roommates. I would advise choosing CCOM, not just because I go there, but it is well-established and the rotation spots are a huge plus too, in my opinion.

Thanks so much for your responses everyone! It's great to have your feedback, and while it is a tough decision for me, it is a very real one, and so I appreciate all the advice. I've just kind of been weighing the pros and cons of each and am seeming to lean more towards VCOM Auburn, but it's not 100% for sure yet.

If you guys think of any more reasons you believe one is better than the other or have any other tid bits of advice, please feel free to share them. Once again, thanks for your responses so far!