cdn getting into a US MD then tferring to mdphd/mstp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M3dhop3ful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a canadian applicant who is looking to apply to some US MD schools
I realize that applying to MSTP programs is going to be tough for an international like me. My stats are 3.88/34. Technicaly, I already have 4 "semesters" (summer job of spring/summer and fall/winter 4th year project), not including an upcoming spring/summer work at the same lab. No papers (yet - looks promising but not before this upcoming fall) but a few conference presentations, abstract publication, and some research presented at a big conference (not by me tho, but it was my work).

I think the issue is moreso the funding, but if I am accepted in a US MD school, can applying to MSTP make it easier regarding my int'l status? how much of a difference will this make. I figure in doing so I'd have more of an informed decision as well.

I appreciate any input and thank you!

Edit: some more searching has revealed that technically, i should have no problem if I apply the above strategy to md/phd programs as an international, because those are not necessarily MSTP. However, how much of a disadvantage if i am going for an MSTP seat to get some sort of funding?

Members don't see this ad.

Not all MSTP programs offer funding to international students - my understanding is that NIH money can't go to international students so the program has to have another source of money for funding. I think in general you are more likely to be able to get funding at private schools than at public schools.

Maybe someone out there has a list of those accepting internationals?

I'm not sure why you want to transfer in to an MSTP though - why not apply straight out? Just figure out which accept internationals before you waste the application $.

Not all MSTP programs offer funding to international students - my understanding is that NIH money can't go to international students so the program has to have another source of money for funding. I think in general you are more likely to be able to get funding at private schools than at public schools.

Maybe someone out there has a list of those accepting internationals?

I'm not sure why you want to transfer in to an MSTP though - why not apply straight out? Just figure out which accept internationals before you waste the application $.

That would be ideal i think as well. I heard it might be easier if you apply with an F1 visa so that might be the advantage alluded to? Not sure as to why because you are still not PR/citizen. Maybe OP woud have it better that way?

Is it in fact true that md/phd is easier than MSTP for us cdns?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being an MSTP just means that SOME of the funding comes from NIH.

It's entirely possible for MSTP programs to accept internationals. It simply varies depending on their policies and funding. For example, Wash U offers full funding to internationals.

I don't know anything about visas, though.

Being an MSTP just means that SOME of the funding comes from NIH.

It's entirely possible for MSTP programs to accept internationals. It simply varies depending on their policies and funding. For example, Wash U offers full funding to internationals.

I don't know anything about visas, though.
Huh. I thought NIH = must be US citizen. Didn't know that.

OP - check your PM box.

Huh. I thought NIH = must be US citizen. Didn't know that.

OP - check your PM box.

Yes, money from the NIH must go to US citizens.

But programs get an MSTP recognition as long as they get some NIH funding (regardeless of the amount). And many private "MSTP" universities have tons of additional private funding that they could use to fund international students.

It depends on the program. For some programs, it's better to apply to MD program. For other programs, it's easier to apply to both at the same time (only one application fee anyway).

True, MSTP does not mean that your $ is entirely from NIH - there just has to be some money at the school that is NIH to get the designation - in fact, generally you will have no idea what pool your money is from if you get accepted, not that it really matters. That said, some schools can't or won't pony up additional money to support internationals, some do with no problem (Wash U, Penn, eg).

So, I would think you should make a list of 20-30 schools you would be interested in applying to and call or email their MSTP office to see if they accept international students. Some will say no so you will end up with a pool of 15 or so schools to apply to. You could do that in an afternoon.

Maybe somebody has already done this and could share it here or maybe you could post your findings for other people? It wouldn't be bad to add that info to the FAQ at the top although I imagine it changes over time with the funding environment.

I too am Canadian and have started on the quest to applying to MD PhD programs. There are a few schools you can apply to that will fund you through non-NIH sources. There is actually a useful thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=61421. Below I have pasted the schools that you can apply to that were listed on that thread from member KBK back in 2002 (gotta do the proper citations!) including some additions and edits from my own research. I find that the information on international students applying to mud phud is rather slim so I am hoping to put up a website, will let you guys know when that happens.

Cheers

MD/PhD programs that accept intl students:
1. Hopkins (with Merck scholarship)
2. Wash U (full funding)
3. Cornell (full funding)
4. Duke (full funding)
5. UT Southwestern (full funding)
6. Vanderbilt (full funding)
7. Dartmouth (full funding)
8. Baylor (full funding)
9. USC (partial funding)
10. Stanford (no funding)
11. Harvard (full funding for 1 person)
12. UPenn (full funding)
13. Mount Sinai (full funding)
14. Yale (full funding for 1 person)
15. Penn State (?)
16. BU (?)
17. UWa of Maryland (they take canadians but no one else)
18. Albert Einstein (?)
19. Brown (?)
20. Emory (full funding)
21. Northwestern (?)
22. Stony Brook (?)
23. U of South Alabama (?)
24. Wake Forest (?)