Cdn vs US DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boss123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the differences are.. i know there is no carving on the US DAT .. but in terms of studying ... do u need to study anything different if ur taking the US dat -same materail/books? ... only reason i ask is b/c US DAT is offered year round and more convienent to study for then just the two dates for cdn DAT.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering what the differences are.. i know there is no carving on the US DAT .. but in terms of studying ... do u need to study anything different if ur taking the US dat -same materail/books? ... only reason i ask is b/c US DAT is offered year round and more convienent to study for then just the two dates for cdn DAT.

thanks

The CDN DAT has Gen Chem, Bio, PAT, reading Comp, and Carving. The US DAT is Gen Che, Org Chem, QR, PAT, and Reading Comp. Apparently its "easier" (I can't say from my experience, since I've not written the American DAT), becuase American DAT does not have carving (which is pretty hard). I dunno if you've bought any books yet, but the Kaplan book and Barrow is all written for American DAT. We canadians use it here to study for the canadian DAT....but remeber...if u plan to apply to Canadian Unis..its best that u write the CDN DAT seeing how carving is a major component for CDN universities....hope this helps...good luck

The American DAT contains Organic Chemistry and Quantitative Reasoning sections that are not found on the Canadian DAT. The Canadian DAT contains a carving section that is not on the American DAT.

Could you imagine the DAT prep people in here in the USA suddenly dropping organic chemistry and quantitative reasoning sections instead for instructions and hot tips on carving a bar of soap? LOL.

CDAT is the easier exam of the two. That doesn't mean I'd want to take it either.

The American DAT contains Organic Chemistry and Quantitative Reasoning sections that are not found on the Canadian DAT. The Canadian DAT contains a carving section that is not on the American DAT.

Could you imagine the DAT prep people in here in the USA suddenly dropping organic chemistry and quantitative reasoning sections instead for instructions and hot tips on carving a bar of soap? LOL.

CDAT is the easier exam of the two. That doesn't mean I'd want to take it either.
Hmmmm I dunno if you tried to carve on soap....but trust me its HARD! Students even feel that those soaps were particularly made so that students will flunk.....hehehe....ya I know we over-exagerrate...nevertheless..the carving screws everyone over.....I'd rather do the American DAT any day, but I want to apply to CDN unis (especially McGill) so ya......if you can do the American DAT...DO IT!