CDP Test 5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like test 5 is too easy? Almost like they want you to feel good about yourself right before you finish the basic package.

My scores:
1-19
2-18
3-17 (AR HP killed me)
4-17 (Once again AR HP killed me)
5-22

Holepunching was rediculously easy. I hope the real DAT hole punching is easier than CDP that is the section I seem to do the worst with. In my defense I finally have my timing down and this test for the first time allowed me the right amount of time for my weakest sections. Either way it seems weird to me.

On a second thought, should i upgrade to the 10 test package for the extra practice for my test in a week?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else feel like test 5 is too easy? Almost like they want you to feel good about yourself right before you finish the basic package.

My scores:
1-19
2-18
3-17 (AR HP killed me)
4-17 (Once again AR HP killed me)
5-22

Holepunching was rediculously easy. I hope the real DAT hole punching is easier than CDP that is the section I seem to do the worst with. In my defense I finally have my timing down and this test for the first time allowed me the right amount of time for my weakest sections. Either way it seems weird to me.

On a second thought, should i upgrade to the 10 test package for the extra practice for my test in a week?

I got 20/20/20/19 so far. Test 5 is my next one. Hopefully I'll get like a 22 like you did!

But yeah, hole punching in CDP is the hardest POS I've ever seen!!!

But yeah, hole punching in CDP is the hardest POS I've ever seen!!!

Agreed. I know most likely there will be no optical illusions on the cube counting for the real thing, and everyone says angles is a little easier.
Im sure it varies test to test. Oh well..

I was getting in the 18-19 range on the first four tests, then I got a 22 on the fifth test, so I am kind of in the same boat as you. To be fair, I spent a few days in between the fourth and the fifth tests reading up on strategies in the Barron's and Cliff's DAT books. I just took the sixth test (I have the ten test package) last night, and I got a 24, so I'd like to think I'm just getting better, not that the tests are getting easier lol. I guess we'll see.... Just practice, practice, practice and don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking you're "good" with a certain section and don't need to look at it anymore...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah im hoping that I am learning and recognizing patterns that show up again and again. Someone posted on here that there is an obvious pattern threaded throughout CDP and after a while you become accustomed to the way they set their problems up. I don't know if this is valid or not, either way I feel more confident in my PAT skills by running through a mess of practice tests and going over my mistakes.

I thought test 5 was very representative of the real DAT. I got a 22 on test 5 and a 22 on the real thing.

Couple differences. TFE was definitely harder on the real DAT, keyholes were similar, hole punching was very similar, maybe a tiny bit harder. I thought pattern folding was stupid easy on the real thing

I just took test 5. My first four were 19/20/20/22, and I got a 25 on this one (!). I definitely thought that keyholes was easier on this test than the others, also cubes had no illusions and were straightforward. Pattern folding might have been a little easier too... all in all I finished with 5 extra minutes to check everything over, meanwhile in all the other tests I usually had to guess on the last couple of pattern folding q's.
But hey, if it's representative of the test- I'm not complaining :laugh:.
Also I have the 10 test package, so we'll see if they get harder.

Last edited:
I got 21 on tests 6 and 7, still got three to go. Hole punching finally clicked for me and i think this is what was holding back my PAT. If I get close to a 21 on the real thing I will be a happy man!

hole punching used to be my worst too but now its pattern folding and from what ive read pattern folding is a lot harder on real dat....can anyway tell me which practice material has the most representative pattern folding? i thought topscores was harder than cdp IMO but idk i need someone who actually took the DAT to tell me...thanks in advance