CE courses as pre-dent???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeedent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted the same question in the pre-dent forum, but maybe i will get better responses here!

I have the opportunity to attend CE classes on almost a monthly basis... Do you think this would be beneficial to me personally? Would this be helpful to list on my future application? I can only think it would be good if i had 20+ hours of CE when applying. But then another part of me just thinks it's trivial and i am getting ahead of myself.

Any input would be awesome!! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I posted the same question in the pre-dent forum, but maybe i will get better responses here!

I have the opportunity to attend CE classes on almost a monthly basis... Do you think this would be beneficial to me personally? Would this be helpful to list on my future application? I can only think it would be good if i had 20+ hours of CE when applying. But then another part of me just thinks it's trivial and i am getting ahead of myself.

It'd probably be more beneficial to have 20+ more hours of volunteering on your application. Adcoms love volunteering. Are the courses free?

cart-before-the-horse1.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

haha.. funny pic.. ya honestly your wasting your time; completely pointless and your going to have no idea what they're talking about.. and honestly if you mention it on your app they're going to think your a weirdo/douche

. "as a predent" waste of time.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your advice... appreciate the picture too :laugh:

I am a non trad applicant and am going back taking my pre reqs, getting ready for the DAT this summer. I literally already have 700+ hours community service and about 200 hours of shadowing. I currently volunteer dental asst at a public health clinic once a week. So as far as building my EC's I really just don't know what to do anymore, so i thought maybe CE courses might be a good thing!

Thanks for your input, i won't waste my time! :D

You weren't looking for better responses; you were looking for a response that agreed with your supposition.

You weren't looking for better responses; you were looking for a response that agreed with your supposition.

DocToothache... you are very quick to assume.... if you had any sales training, you would know that is a terrible thing to do.

If you would have checked the times of posting in the forums, you would have understood why i posted here as well! After 5 hours of nobody posting on my original thread in the predent forum, i decided to post here as well. I also felt Dentists and DStudents would have a much greater insight to CE courses being helpful.

I had created both threads way before you even made a comment. So please spare me your brash judgments and assumptions.

DocToothache... you are very quick to assume.... if you had any sales training, you would know that is a terrible thing to do. If you would have checked the times of posting in the forums, you would have understood why i posted here as well! After 5 hours of nobody posting on my original thread in the predent forum, i decided to post here as well. I also felt Dentists and DStudents would have a much greater insight to CE courses being helpful. I had created both threads way before you even made a comment. So please spare me your brash judgments and assumptions.

And 5 agonizing hours at that. Since it took 8 hours before a response on your second post it is surprising that you didn't make your 3rd post in the D Residents/Practicing Dentists Forum since, after all, they are likely to have more experience in the CE department than dental students.

And 5 agonizing hours at that. Since it took 8 hours before a response on your second post it is surprising that you didn't make your 3rd post in the D Residents/Practicing Dentists Forum since, after all, they are likely to have more experience in the CE department than dental students.

Your right... if nobody had responded before the 10th "agonizing" hour i was going to head for the Residents and Practicing forum. ;)

Cut me some slack i am new to the forum.... but judging by previous posts of yours, you would probably loose your credibility if you cut anyone slack! :laugh:

Wow dude u need to chill out. He asked a question, we answered him, he agreed with us, we've all moved on. You have added nothing to this discussion

Wow dude u need to chill out. He asked a question, we answered him, he agreed with us, we've all moved on. You have added nothing to this discussion

Your last post would suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
CE credits won't help you get into dental school but they won't hurt you either. You might learn something.

p.s. Everyone needs to pay better attention to their "your"s and "you're"s. Drives me crazy! At least doc toothache has good grammar.

I say do whatever you want. With that many hours of shadowing you probably won't be 100% lost.

As long as they aren't costing you anything, go for it. They are usually pricey.

I wouldn't put them on your application though...it is a little odd.

CE credits won't help you get into dental school but they won't hurt you either. You might learn something.

p.s. Everyone needs to pay better attention to their "your"s and "you're"s. Drives me crazy! At least doc toothache has good grammar.

The only thing that I'd worry about if one enters d-school with numerous CE credits, is the unfortnate age old addage that the d-school profs want to teach you THEIR way and THEIR way only :eek: Heaven forbid that even before one matriculates to d-school that a student realizes that it's okay to actually think on their own, and that there might just be a different, successful, technique to accomplish a procedure than the one that the d-school prof is teaching ;)

That being said, with the pace that materials are changing in dentistry these days, BOTH the techniques/materials taught in d-school and at CE courses today could possibly be obsolete by the time a current pre-dent has graduated from d-school and entered practice

The only thing that I'd worry about if one enters d-school with numerous CE credits, is the unfortnate age old addage that the d-school profs want to teach you THEIR way and THEIR way only :eek: Heaven forbid that even before one matriculates to d-school that a student realizes that it's okay to actually think on their own, and that there might just be a different, successful, technique to accomplish a procedure than the one that the d-school prof is teaching ;)

That being said, with the pace that materials are changing in dentistry these days, BOTH the techniques/materials taught in d-school and at CE courses today could possibly be obsolete by the time a current pre-dent has graduated from d-school and entered practice

well its not only that; it's that your learning how to improve on techniques and do stuff that you have no idea about. when you learn how to do better class II's when you dont even know what a class II is, then you have a problem. if i was on the admissions committee and saw that somebody had taken a few CE courses i would not look at that favorably.