Cell Bio vs. Microbio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerealrhapsody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between the two?

I ask because I have to take Microbio to satisfy UF's (my ISS) requirement as well as for my major. But I want to apply to UTK as well, and I noticed that they list "Cellular Biology" as a pre-req, while they also encourage applicants to take microbiology as well.

So I'm assuming microbio doesn't count toward UTK's "cellular biology" requirement? I have to take both?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between the two?

I ask because I have to take Microbio to satisfy UF's (my ISS) requirement as well as for my major. But I want to apply to UTK as well, and I noticed that they list "Cellular Biology" as a pre-req, while they also encourage applicants to take microbiology as well.

So I'm assuming microbio doesn't count toward UTK's "cellular biology" requirement? I have to take both?
It most certainly does not count. Dr. Brace (associate dean there) and I had a long talk about what was considered Cell Biology that ended with me taking it the summer before matriculation.

Unfortunately, you will have to take both...they are very different courses. Cell biology is just that, functions of the cell. Microbiology is the study of microorganisms (ie bacteria and viruses).

Members don't see this ad :)
Microbiology involves the study of microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. Most intro courses will cover the different phyla of bacteria and the genetic differences between them, will discuss concepts such as gram + vs gram - organisms, describe routes of antibiotic actions, and probably cover sterile technique and properties of growth, among other topics I am sure.

Cell bio covers the physiology of the cell. This usually entails cellular respiration and fermentation (the TCA cycle, electron transport), protein function (Na/K pumps, etc), cellular messenger systems, and possibly DNA expression/protein synthesis.

You may have a little overlap between the courses, but for the most part they are entirely different classes. I would take both, especially if the schools you are interested in require them.

What they said. Plus, the more you get things like cellular respiration ground into your brain, the easier it is to regurgitate that knowledge when you take Biochem.