You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cell Biology or Microbiology?
Started by Pinky911
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
MCAT doesn’t have enough of either to make or break you.
Whatever you can get a better grade in.
Cell is memorisation for sure but has pathways etc that one can at least rationalise.
Micro is just pure memorisation... keep in mind that med school does have a separate Micro and Immuno class so perhaps having some background would help.
Whatever you can get a better grade in.
Cell is memorisation for sure but has pathways etc that one can at least rationalise.
Micro is just pure memorisation... keep in mind that med school does have a separate Micro and Immuno class so perhaps having some background would help.
As a third possibility, what about neither? Both cell bio and micro are on the MCAT to some extent, but an upper-level course will almost certainly go into more detail than you need. Based on your question, I wasn't sure if you need to take a class in terms of credits, timing, etc., or if it would be more of an optional thing. Depending on your situation and MCAT timeline, it could make sense to take the time that you'd spend on an upper-level bio class and allocate it towards MCAT prep more generally.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a third possibility, what about neither? Both cell bio and micro are on the MCAT to some extent, but an upper-level course will almost certainly go into more detail than you need. Based on your question, I wasn't sure if you need to take a class in terms of credits, timing, etc., or if it would be more of an optional thing. Depending on your situation and MCAT timeline, it could make sense to take the time that you'd spend on an upper-level bio class and allocate it towards MCAT prep more generally.
Neither.... Neither is good
I only have time to take one more biology class before my MCAT. I've taken Gen Bio I & II plus Genetics. Would you guys recommend Cell Biology or Microbiology in preparation for the MCAT?
I didn't see much of either that would warrant an entire class. Take it if you're interested in it.
As a third possibility, what about neither? Both cell bio and micro are on the MCAT to some extent, but an upper-level course will almost certainly go into more detail than you need. Based on your question, I wasn't sure if you need to take a class in terms of credits, timing, etc., or if it would be more of an optional thing. Depending on your situation and MCAT timeline, it could make sense to take the time that you'd spend on an upper-level bio class and allocate it towards MCAT prep more generally.
I have to take both classes eventually because of my degree track. It's just a matter of which one to take before the MCAT and which one to take after.
I have to take both classes eventually because of my degree track. It's just a matter of which one to take before the MCAT and which one to take after.
Go for cell bio then. If you can easily find out what your program's micro course is like, that might help in making the decision too. I've seen two types of micro courses: (1) those that focus intensely on classifications and clinical characteristics of different types of bacteria and viruses, and (2) those that focus more on the principles of how prokaryotes and viruses work. Type 1 is totally a waste of energy for MCAT prep, save it for med school. Type 2...
...that material would overlap a little more w/ the MCAT (content category 2B), but cell bio is a safer bet.I'd say cell helped me more than micro on my exams.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 2K