1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by sumozmom, Mar 4, 2007.

1. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Crazy question...but.....

can you use american cell phones down there?

what do you all use to call usa ( best method )

:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  4. SabaMed

2+ Year Member

Depends on da island. Saba and St. Maarten use Chippie. You bring down an unlocked phone and pop in a new sim card. Pretty easy.

5. neurodoc

neurodoc Neurologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You might want to check which system the island is set up for. Cingular uses a different system from Verizon, for example. Phones can be "unlocked" to accept local SIMs, and will be cheaper to operate with a local SIM, but they need to be compatable with the local network.

Nick

6. oldpro

oldpro MS IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You need a tri or quad phone Regular US phones will not work a lot of times.

Good thing is that Digicell has $29 usd phones here.....................cheap

7. 34140

34140 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i use sunrocket.

its like vonage, but allows you to have an international call forwrading number. by international i dont mean phone numbers that dont fit the traditional 10 digit. Carribbean numbers are 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX just like US numbers, i bought a cheap phone down here, incoming calls are free, out going calls are around 50-60cents/min, so calls to me are free and my family dials a local number.

8. Alley Cat

Medical Student
    When I lived in St. Maarten I was burning up $1.95/min by buying phone cards calling the states. Some other students and myself split the cost of the best wireless internet package the internet company had to offer and I set up the vonage account and it worked as good as gold. I could call anyone in the states and international rates were as cheap as dirt. Hope this helps.