Cell Phones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crazy question...but.....

can you use american cell phones down there?

what do you all use to call usa ( best method )

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on da island. Saba and St. Maarten use Chippie. You bring down an unlocked phone and pop in a new sim card. Pretty easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to check which system the island is set up for. Cingular uses a different system from Verizon, for example. Phones can be "unlocked" to accept local SIMs, and will be cheaper to operate with a local SIM, but they need to be compatable with the local network.

Nick

You need a tri or quad phone Regular US phones will not work a lot of times.

Good thing is that Digicell has $29 usd phones here.....................cheap

i use sunrocket.

its like vonage, but allows you to have an international call forwrading number. by international i dont mean phone numbers that dont fit the traditional 10 digit. Carribbean numbers are 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX just like US numbers, i bought a cheap phone down here, incoming calls are free, out going calls are around 50-60cents/min, so calls to me are free and my family dials a local number.

When I lived in St. Maarten I was burning up $1.95/min by buying phone cards calling the states. Some other students and myself split the cost of the best wireless internet package the internet company had to offer and I set up the vonage account and it worked as good as gold. I could call anyone in the states and international rates were as cheap as dirt. Hope this helps.