Censorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems as though the people of SDN have issue with censorship. Granted this is a free member site, but everyone here joins to learn, or for the most part learn. We like to bounce ideas, issues and heated topics with fellow doctors or students.

To close threads because a member is "bashing" another company is ludacris. The last I looked this was a USA ran org so act like one. People have their rights, and some people I know actually come here to express those concerns because in their country they cannot. This was their outlet...

You may want to take a look back through your history books, but last time I looked we still had freedom of speech.

I have never had a issue or was booted, I am only sticking up for others who did get booted.

Try to have some backbone and deal with life issues, and not just close every thread that gets a bit heated.

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is a privately run organization and so guides conversation in a way we see fit. We don't disallow threads that point out negative issues surrounding a specific topic, because hey, people need to see those too in order to be informed. However, each site has a TOS and part of ours says that we do not condone threads started for the purpose of bashing schools/organizations/individuals. The reason being that a) it's just not nice b) it doesn't facilitate useful discussion and c) there's a fine balance between saying negative things and libel, the latter obviously watched closely by us for legal concerns.

So, if there's an issue any member would like to raise, they're welcome to do so. Only, it should be done in a constructive manner and we will not allow threads to be started where the sole intent is to bash/insult/propagandize. If you feel the overwhelming urge to do so, then you're welcome to post in the DrsLounge forums (scroll to the bottom of the main page) which are largely unmoderated.

SDN is a privately run organization and so guides conversation in a way we see fit. We don't disallow threads that point out negative issues surrounding a specific topic, because hey, people need to see those too in order to be informed. However, each site has a TOS and part of ours says that we do not condone threads started for the purpose of bashing schools/organizations/individuals. The reason being that a) it's just not nice b) it doesn't facilitate useful discussion and c) there's a fine balance between saying negative things and libel, the latter obviously watched closely by us for legal concerns.

So, if there's an issue any member would like to raise, they're welcome to do so. Only, it should be done in a constructive manner and we will not allow threads to be started where the sole intent is to bash/insult/propagandize. If you feel the overwhelming urge to do so, then you're welcome to post in the DrsLounge forums (scroll to the bottom of the main page) which are largely unmoderated.

I have nothing that is would require "Censorship" by this Org, so no point in me going to the DrsLounge forums as you requested, unless you would like to close this thread...?

I was and will continue to make this point, you or any Mod. on SDN will close threads that are very good, one of which was the buying a home thread for residents. That was closed because there were links to lenders who we as doctors thought were good to pass along to others.

If you or anyone else feels that a users is out of line then close them if need be, but do not close the whole thread.

This is not a perfect world and you and SDN should know that medical and life in gen. is tough and we like to vent here. If someone has something neg. to say, 99% of the time I would bet there is some truth to it.

As I am venting too you now I am sure someone is saying, "wow this doctor is a real jerk," and others are saying "wow this doctor is finally saying what we wall wanted to say for a long time."

I realize that SDN is a prvt. Org. but so is my medical center and guess what, we say things there that piss off a lot of people. People don't like to hear there gonna die from cancer, but my hospital still allows me to tell them that smoking is bad and death is caused by smoking... Get my point, we all do not like what everyone has to say - but this is for the most part a site for doctors who made it through a lot.

I do understand your issue with being libel, so I agree with you there is a fine line there. As doctors the last thing we need to worry about is legal issues while trying to have some "fun" in our lack of free time.

Chill out a bit and let people speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are upset about the mortgage thread (which is now in the finance forum) which we had solicitations from non-regular posters (people who joined just to mention their name). If you need the information, those who had it has offered to PM people the proper information so I'm not really sure why you are upset that we were trying to protect our users from the spam-fest that was ensuing in the thread. We couldn't allow some users to leave info and others be deleted so everything went. I'm sure you can understand in this circumstance we were only following the policies set forth in the TOS and trying to protect our users. There are still references and suggestions to banks to contact but no personal information. And those who had information have volunteered to share via PM. :)

I am debating re-opening the thread up in the finance forum as it will be monitored carefully for spam but it still is there for your wealth of information. :D

So you are upset about the mortgage thread (which is now in the finance forum) which we had solicitations from non-regular posters (people who joined just to mention their name). If you need the information, those who had it has offered to PM people the proper information so I'm not really sure why you are upset that we were trying to protect our users from the spam-fest that was ensuing in the thread. We couldn't allow some users to leave info and others be deleted so everything went. I'm sure you can understand in this circumstance we were only following the policies set forth in the TOS and trying to protect our users. There are still references and suggestions to banks to contact but no personal information. And those who had information have volunteered to share via PM. :)

I am debating re-opening the thread up in the finance forum as it will be monitored carefully for spam but it still is there for your wealth of information. :D

No I am not upset over the mortgage thread alone but the idea. You can close out specific users, rather then close the whole thread. Again, I am not only talk about that thread, but in general. This topic has lost its wind and is kidna getting old. Just try to take some advice from a user, rather then defend everything. If you want a good example: gmail gets more hits then SDN will ever (sorry) and they get way more spam then SDN ever (good), but they do not close gmail service due to spam or non targeted ads.... Think long and hard about it before you try to defend this one...

hmm, i never get spam on my gmail. I must be lucky :). This site isn't an email site, just as gmail isn't a discussion board site ... as I said before, we don't care about what may or may not happen on other sites. We don't compare ourselves with other sites either. We're solely concentrated with the running of this one. You're entitled to your opinions, but this site is run the way it is for specific reasons and the mods will continue to uphold the values of this site, not others.

On another note, we don't prevent specific users from posting unless there is a very obvious reason. There is an option to edit specific posts, but we take into account its context in the whole thread, as well as the direction of the whole thread. Our purpose isn't to "defend ourselves," as there's nothing really to defend - we run this site based on a mod consensus on how it should be run, and it won't please everyone all the time but it's how all the mods think is best in the long run. The reason a few of us have responded to this and the previous thread is to try to help you understand where we're coming from and the decision process which results in certain actions regarding specific threads. You may not agree with them, but regardless, a good amount of thought goes into each of our decisions.

hmm, i never get spam on my gmail. I must be lucky :). This site isn't an email site, just as gmail isn't a discussion board site ... as I said before, we don't care about what may or may not happen on other sites. We don't compare ourselves with other sites either. We're solely concentrated with the running of this one. You're entitled to your opinions, but this site is run the way it is for specific reasons and the mods will continue to uphold the values of this site, not others.

On another note, we don't prevent specific users from posting unless there is a very obvious reason. There is an option to edit specific posts, but we take into account its context in the whole thread, as well as the direction of the whole thread. Our purpose isn't to "defend ourselves," as there's nothing really to defend - we run this site based on a mod consensus on how it should be run, and it won't please everyone all the time but it's how all the mods think is best in the long run. The reason a few of us have responded to this and the previous thread is to try to help you understand where we're coming from and the decision process which results in certain actions regarding specific threads. You may not agree with them, but regardless, a good amount of thought goes into each of our decisions.

Actually gmail/google does have threads- so yes it is a discussion board. If you look in your inbox of gmail you see the tab for "spam," thats there for spam. Why you might ask? Because gmail users get spam...

As far as people who drop in on this thread, that would be two people you and another, both Mods of SDN.

Just a side question, are you a MD? If so you would understand where I am coming from. If you are not like the other is a MBA student you will not have a clue on where I am coming from, as a reason to vent. It is people like you or other "by the book" people that screw medicine.

If it's not to defend then how can it be on a case by case basis? Why can you not just shut users who cross the line?

There's a difference between venting and unnecessary hostility. Venting can be done without name-calling or overly pejorative statements. If you come to vent, that's fine, everyone needs a release and hey, misery loves company. We all like a good b****fest sometimes. However, personal attacks on members and organizations do nothing for anyone and are completely useless, not to mention potentially libellous. Threads made for the sole purpose of calling out members of our community for ridicule and bashing are completely unnecessary - we wish to engage more in positive constructive discussion and are uninterested in being a reservoir for people with personal gripes or chips on their shoulders, so each mod duly assesses the threads in their forums with this in mind. Every insulting thing you think can be phrased in such a way that you can vent your heart out and call practices into question without being malicious.

People who post can be assessed individually and have posting/viewing privileges granted or taken away. Fortunately there are very few members of the international forums who cross the line, and we use that option very sparingly, only as a last resort.

There's a difference between venting and unnecessary hostility. Venting can be done without name-calling or overly pejorative statements. If you come to vent, that's fine, everyone needs a release and hey, misery loves company. We all like a good b****fest sometimes. However, personal attacks on members and organizations do nothing for anyone and are completely useless, not to mention potentially libellous. Threads made for the sole purpose of calling out members of our community for ridicule and bashing are completely unnecessary - we wish to engage more in positive constructive discussion and are uninterested in being a reservoir for people with personal gripes or chips on their shoulders, so each mod duly assesses the threads in their forums with this in mind. Every insulting thing you think can be phrased in such a way that you can vent your heart out and call practices into question without being malicious.

People who post can be assessed individually and have posting/viewing privileges granted or taken away. Fortunately there are very few members of the international forums who cross the line, and we use that option very sparingly, only as a last resort.

I agree, good talking to you. I just wanted to make my point and you have yours. I know there are a bunch of bad apples, but i just hate to see things get closed... I have been on here for a couple years now, and had a few issues with some folks, but for the most part people are nice and open to talks about life and medicine.

Cheers

What? someone was bashing this guy?

Attachments

• lc.jpg
    lc.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 83
(at the risk of sounding totally stupid and un-cool....who's he?)

That's Ludacris.

I think the OP meant to say Ludicrous, which means 1 : amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity, OR

2 : meriting derisive laughter or scorn as absurdly inept, false, or foolish.

I was just poking fun at the rapper's name, since he is one that is famous for his "parental advisory" lyrics.