Central Europe medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlConsigliere

Reaction score
I am a 32 year old American mixed-race male who was thinking about med schools in Central European countries, such as Czechia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, etc., basically the Slavic countries plus Hungary. I was going to add Ukraine, but given the situation right now (March 2022), I am sure that everyone knows why that option is completely out of the question.

I have a BSc in Biology, a BSc in Mathematics and a BEng in Chemical Engineering. I am not sure if this helps my applications or not, but the main reasons that I consider these countries are because the tuition is generally much cheaper than the rest of Europe and is more affordable for someone in my financial bracket, which is lower middle class. I also heard that getting accepted is not as difficult as in Western Europe, plus the big universities teach Medicine in English. I can speak intermediate level Czech, but I would be scared to study in any Slavic language or Hungarian with my current levels in those languages.

Is it really easier than in Western Europe, plus much cheaper? I was wondering if anyone here has experience studying Medicine at a university in any of those countries.

This might sound random, but I think relevant. I am mixed-race Chinese and Spanish, but somehow Europeans think I look like a Syrian refugee, Muslim or just generally Middle-Eastern or from the Indian subcontinent. I have heard some scary news therefrom about racial discrimination. Would I likely face any discrimination in those countries?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently attend a medical school in Eastern Europe. I am right now finishing up my 2nd year of 4 years. My graduating class (class of 2024) is the last one to have the 4 year MD route. So everyone after my graduating class has to do the "6" year MD route.

I don't know if it is necessarily easier to be in an Eastern European school since I don't know of anyone in the Western Europe medical schools. I can't really compare it then. However, my school has multiple retakes for exams/finals if you fail them. So no one really fails out, but they can be held back a year or more. Yet, in my opinion, school is still very busy and at times can be stressful. We take about 19 different classes per year. For some people it may not be a problem, but for others it can be very tough juggling it all and keeping your sanity.

The price of my school is ~$17,000 per year just for tuition. For other expenses added on, it can be ~$25,000-$30,000/year (rent, food, online studying resources, traveling back home, etc).

We do have a language class (beginner and advanced) to learn the native language here, but they don't expect us to be fluent. When we are on rotations, we will have the doctor translate or another student in our group who is fluent in the native language to translate. Even so some patients can speak English. I have been surprised at how many people speak English in this country.

I don't know much about the racial discrimination here since I am a white female, but I only have heard of other students in different years discriminating or harassing minority students.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to DM me.

I am a 32 year old American mixed-race male who was thinking about med schools in Central European countries, such as Czechia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, etc., basically the Slavic countries plus Hungary. I was going to add Ukraine, but given the situation right now (March 2022), I am sure that everyone knows why that option is completely out of the question.

I have a BSc in Biology, a BSc in Mathematics and a BEng in Chemical Engineering. I am not sure if this helps my applications or not, but the main reasons that I consider these countries are because the tuition is generally much cheaper than the rest of Europe and is more affordable for someone in my financial bracket, which is lower middle class. I also heard that getting accepted is not as difficult as in Western Europe, plus the big universities teach Medicine in English. I can speak intermediate level Czech, but I would be scared to study in any Slavic language or Hungarian with my current levels in those languages.

Is it really easier than in Western Europe, plus much cheaper? I was wondering if anyone here has experience studying Medicine at a university in any of those countries.

This might sound random, but I think relevant. I am mixed-race Chinese and Spanish, but somehow Europeans think I look like a Syrian refugee, Muslim or just generally Middle-Eastern or from the Indian subcontinent. I have heard some scary news therefrom about custom made essays writemypapers4me.net/custom-writing-service. Would I likely face any discrimination in those countries?
Of all the above countries in which you plan to start training, I would still stop your attention on the Czech Republic or after all the Ukraine, if in the near future will end the war.

I have many friends, some graduated from the medical university in Ukraine (one graduated from Kharkiv, the second in Zaporizhzhia), and I must tell you that the teaching is at a high level, for foreign students only in English, a good practical and physical facilities, well and again it is a very important to point - the fact that the training lasts much less than in other European countries.

So let's say that in order for you to get a full medical license, you will need to take 6 years of training directly at the medical university and 3 years in an internship in the specialty that you choose.

Your medical diploma obtained in Ukraine, knowing the English language is very easy to confirm in any European country, all you need is to pass the confirmation (if you study well - nothing difficult).

I wouldn't recommend Poland, because it takes longer to study and medicine is notably inferior in development.

As an alternative (in Ukraine) I would suggest you consider the city of Lviv for admission. It's in the west of Ukraine, if I'm not mistaken, there is also a medical university and today the situation is calm, and the border with the European Union is very close, just an hour by car

Last edited: