Central Michigan vs. Toledo?? (Please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryang0811

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I am fortunate to hold acceptances at both Central Michigan and Toledo. I am having a very difficult time choosing. They are both MD programs, so there's that. I am also a Michigan resident, so Central is obviously more attractive due to in-state tuition. However, there is the option of obtaining Ohio residency after M1 in Toledo and getting in-state tuition rate for M2, 3, and 4. I was accepted to Central in February, so I've engaged with the program, found a roommate, etc. and feel very comfortable there. I was just accepted to Toledo last week though, and they are certainly a more established program (albeit around the same tier). I'm just not sure what to do. Is it worth dropping everything to commit to Toledo at this point? In terms of my career and success finding a residency, I honestly think either school would be fine. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

Toledo Pros
-More established program with slightly better residency placements (tough to compare side-by-side though)
-Facilities are nicer
-More opportunities to get involved in SIG's
-Probably won't have to relocate as much during M3 and M4 (vs. Central)

Toledo Cons
-Out-of-state tuition surcharge at 30k/yr until can establish Ohio residency
-Slightly larger class size than Central (175 vs. 100)

CMED Pros
-In-state tuition rate all 4yrs
-Small class size, optimal learning environment
-Clinical experience in more rural areas = potentially more one-on-one time with preceptors vs. Toledo

CMED Cons
-Must relocate during M3/M4
-Not as established as Toledo, slightly lower quality residency placements

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think there is very much difference in ranking though Toledo May have more research opportunities than Cmed.

What is the total cost difference and what specialties are you thinking?

I don’t think there is very much difference in ranking though Toledo May have more research opportunities than Cmed.

What is the total cost difference and what specialties are you thinking?
Thanks for the input. As an OOS student, Toledo's cost of attendance is 65k (vs. 35k as an Ohio resident). CMED's in-state tuition rate is 44k. If I paid OOS for one year and gained in-state tuition for M2, 3, and 4, I would actually be paying around the same amount at either school. However, if I fail to establish Ohio residency for even one year after that, I would be paying an extra ~30k.

In terms of specialties, I'm not quite sure yet. I am leaning towards IM or neurology, but I'd like to keep my options open wherever I go.