Centralized Application Website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpsych55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been lurking for a while and will finally be applying this year for the 2018 admission cycle. I'm at a conference this weekend and attended a talk by APA about grad school admissions. I wasn't aware of this and am sure I'm not the only one, so I wanted to give everyone a heads up that they'll be using a centralized application website this year (akin to the Common App for undergrad) called PSYCAS. The universal parts of the application, like applicant information, transcripts, etc., will only need to be entered once, and each school also has a custom section for its individualized materials.

I did a quick search of the forum and got the idea that a handful of schools have used this service previously, but the APA reps made it seem like this is the first year it's really launching in full force. Half of me is relieved that this should make the process less time-consuming, but half of me is wary of possible technological issues that inevitably come with piloting a program like this for the first time. They also noted that schools have to opt in to using the program, so it's not guaranteed that it will be completely universal.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

My initial thought is it's about time - will save SO much hassle. HOURS. And keepin track of a billion logins for the different schools. Also will avoid the problem I ran into which is that I changed my name halfway through my master's program (got married)- the two names are only 2 letters different, don't know if that contributed to the confusion or not- and so when I was applying to doctoral programs, in three different occasions I kept getting told that one of my transcripts was missing and it was (at least in 2 cases) in a file right behind the more complete application. Using a universal app would have saved that hassle. I think it is a GREAT idea. You just don't want to wait until the deadline to submit it, just in case there are problems. But I think that similar process has been used for so many other things by now there will probably be relatively few kinks to work out. Just submit it at least a few days ahead of your first deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed that in theory, a centralized application site seems like a great idea. I'd venture to say one of the most difficult parts of the application process (way back when) was just the administrative component--keeping up with which apps still needed which letters, being sure all the packets had all the needed materials, finding mailing addresses, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The technical issue growing pains are well worth it. Much better than the old way. Technical issues are easier, and sometimes cheaper than sending huge packets through mail. Not too mention, I don't trust the Postal Service any more than I trust computer servers.

Its been a needed advancement. The paper system was cumbersome and prone to all sorts of administrative errors (my name has a surname and, as with the poster who commented about changing their name, frequently got sorted into the wrong file during application). I suspect that there will be some growing pains as it goes live and programs opt in and get their school's application process set for it. That's too be expected though.

Its been a needed advancement. The paper system was cumbersome and prone to all sorts of administrative errors (my name has a surname and, as with the poster who commented about changing their name, frequently got sorted into the wrong file during application). I suspect that there will be some growing pains as it goes live and programs opt in and get their school's application process set for it. That's too be expected though.

Expected, but it won't stop endless complaining over minor issues, I'm sure.

If this is the first year for the system, which it sounds to be, I'd urge everyone to submit applications early. Give programs enough time to let you know if something comes across incomplete, corrupted, etc.

As an aside, I still remember having to drive to my different undergrad universities, and I think even to my high school at one point, to request transcripts. Because "back in the day" before e-requests, it had to be done in person. Good times. Applying for internship and fellowship was so, so much easier in that regard.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't expect this system will really be what you think it will be. The problem is that individual universities may have to get on board with it, and many likely won't. We've talked about it and we don't want applicants to pay a centralized application fee AND a fee to our institution....and the latter isn't going away. If the presentation you saw was BY the APA reps who are trying to tout this centralized application, I would wager it is not something that programs are really going to endorse. It's a great idea, but I don't see it working. Sorry from the skeptical university faculty member.

I actually applied to several schools that used PSYCAS this previous cycle. I really liked it and their UI was pretty intuitive (better than common app imo). The most annoying thing about PSYCAS though is for some documents you have to mail them to the PSYCAS processing plant, where it can take them up to a month to process them. They also can't even tell you if they received the documents at all until they're fully processed. If something gets lost in the mail you probably won't know until it's too late.

On one hand, I'm glad that we're finally moving in this direction. Literally every other professional healthcare program has one - AMCAS, AACOMAS, PharmCAS, DHCAS, VMCAS, DICAS, PTCAS...... it's about time we hopped on board.

However, especially given the way PhD apps are processed (matching to a faculty member, more discussion, very personal interviews, etc.) I don't see a lot of schools joining. In fact, I hopped on to PsyCAS today and there are literally only a few schools accepting apps for the fall 2017 cycle - I noticed PCOM, Stanford/PGSP Consortium, and a ton of Argosy's. That was it. It's going to be an uphill battle to get any programs of note to actually join and back the system.

On one hand, I'm glad that we're finally moving in this direction. Literally every other professional healthcare program has one - AMCAS, AACOMAS, PharmCAS, DHCAS, VMCAS, DICAS, PTCAS...... it's about time we hopped on board.

However, especially given the way PhD apps are processed (matching to a faculty member, more discussion, very personal interviews, etc.) I don't see a lot of schools joining. In fact, I hopped on to PsyCAS today and there are literally only a few schools accepting apps for the fall 2017 cycle - I noticed PCOM, Stanford/PGSP Consortium, and a ton of Argosy's. That was it. It's going to be an uphill battle to get any programs of note to actually join and back the system.

This past cycle also had Widener, Yeshiva and Mercer. I'm not sure if they're still on it for this upcoming cycle though.

I actually applied to several schools that used PSYCAS this previous cycle. I really liked it and their UI was pretty intuitive (better than common app imo). The most annoying thing about PSYCAS though is for some documents you have to mail them to the PSYCAS processing plant, where it can take them up to a month to process them. They also can't even tell you if they received the documents at all until they're fully processed. If something gets lost in the mail you probably won't know until it's too late.
What kind of things did you have to mail? That sounds inefficient. You could send them signature requested though that costs more money to mail. Or at least get a tracking number. But still, I agree having to mail stuff to have it floating around in the void for a month or so sounds stressful.

What kind of things did you have to mail? That sounds inefficient. You could send them signature requested though that costs more money to mail. Or at least get a tracking number. But still, I agree having to mail stuff to have it floating around in the void for a month or so sounds stressful.

I assume that they may need transcripts sent to them directly from undergrad institutions. Most programs (at least they didn't way back when) don't allow non-official transcripts that come from the applicant.

Just the normal stuff like transcripts and letters of rec. They also have to verify your transcripts match up with all your coursework (which you have to manually list individually). It didn't take the full 4 weeks for them to verify all my stuff, but it was still a little stressful because you really have to have everything submitted a month before the deadlines just in case. In general though I think PSYCAS is still a great system and much less of a headache than applying to each school individually.

I assume that they may need transcripts sent to them directly from undergrad institutions. Most programs (at least they didn't way back when) don't allow non-official transcripts that come from the applicant.
Some larger institutions now have this fancy way of sending official records electronically through their university system, but not every place is on board with that yet.