1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

certificate programs in Healthcare Administration

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by Abobo, May 5, 2007.

1. Abobo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm interested in doing a certificate in Healthcare Administration (which consists of taking about 15 credit hours of graduate level classes) the year before I plan to enter medical school. I think the program would be useful in helping me understand the legal, financial, and operative aspects of healthcare before I enter it. But, I was wondering if anyone knows whether a certificate would be of any value after medical school and residency...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Well I wonder how comprehensive taking 5 classes of something really would be as I think it would depend on what those classes are and how they are taught as to whether there is any value in them.

4. oreosandsake

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i was considering doing the same thing during medical school.

Just squeezing it out between the summers and what not.

the classmates that I have that do have MPH, or MHA in this field said it was of questionable value.
    If you want to get involved w/ the business side of medicine get an MBA later when it will mean more to you.
    As far as taking extra classes just to "know more" I would consider buying a few books on healthcare economics and just reading those.

Also, I didn't think the $25K that USC wanted for the certificate would ever be offset by it's benefits.