Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

certificate programs in Healthcare Administration

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by Abobo, May 5, 2007.

1. Abobo

Pre-Medical
    I'm interested in doing a certificate in Healthcare Administration (which consists of taking about 15 credit hours of graduate level classes) the year before I plan to enter medical school. I think the program would be useful in helping me understand the legal, financial, and operative aspects of healthcare before I enter it. But, I was wondering if anyone knows whether a certificate would be of any value after medical school and residency...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus

Well I wonder how comprehensive taking 5 classes of something really would be as I think it would depend on what those classes are and how they are taught as to whether there is any value in them.

4. oreosandsake

Resident [Any Field]
    i was considering doing the same thing during medical school.

Just squeezing it out between the summers and what not.

the classmates that I have that do have MPH, or MHA in this field said it was of questionable value.
    If you want to get involved w/ the business side of medicine get an MBA later when it will mean more to you.
    As far as taking extra classes just to "know more" I would consider buying a few books on healthcare economics and just reading those.

Also, I didn't think the $25K that USC wanted for the certificate would ever be offset by it's benefits.