Certificate Programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I understand that most of the schools require foreign trained dentists to do a 2 or 3 yr program for them to be eligible to take the state licensure exams.However University of Illinois at Chicago as well as University of Florida have a 2 yr certificate program which gives you a certificate of completion.These certificates make you eligible to practice in the respective states.Can anyone please help me understand whether students who go thro' these certificate programs are eligible to take the state licensure exams of the other boards or can they practice exclusively in that state only.Also what happens if someone with a certificate of completion from UIC or university of Florida has to move to say New York or Ohio or any other state.Any information is highly appreciated.Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think the school that accept foreign trained dentists, participate in a specific program? (I am not sure what exactly it is called), but anyway, you would enter as a second or third year dental student. I don't know if you would have to take the first part of the boards, but you deff. take the second. Contact Dr. Bennett from U of Florida, (if you are interested in UF) I know thay take foreign trained students and ask for some info, he is a very nice man. Or contact any school that takes foreign trained dentists.

DrMouse
I am a recent Florida grad and I am pretty sure you cannot take another state license exam if you have just a certificate. First off, Florida has no reciprocity. Meaning, once you are in, you can't apply to get a license in another state based on standing.
Secondly, the Florida Foregin Trained Dental Program is very expensive. If you have the time and the patience apply to the four year program. Based on performance on your Nation Boards Part I you might be able to join the regular dental students during the middle of their first year. And you could save a bundle of cash by establishing residency. But there are only two spot for these foreign grads every year, so it's pretty competitive.
The two guys in our class were great guys and clinicians. The suffered through dental school just like the rest of us and I consider them my equals. The Foreign Trained Dental Program grads...lets just say I can't say the same. Good luck!
;)