Certification Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerky1280

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if veterinarian certification from one state is recognized by all other states. IE, if you are certified by California and move out of the state, do you have to recertify in your new state before you can practice?

I ask this because my wife is considering applying to veterinary school, and I am in the Coast Guard. This means that we'll be moving every 3 or 4 years. Right now she's looking at Texas A&M or UC Davis (Houston and San Francisco are both places I can get stationed).

Thanks all,
Brian

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, that is dependent on the two states in question. So, you get your license in CA after taking the boards (2 separate exams)... then, you want to move to South Dakota (that's a joke- no ocean in SD- not even any big lakes!), anyhow, SD may or may not accept a transfer of the license from CA. They do accept the national board exam everywhere. But your poor wife may end up having to take licensure exams every time you move (if she's that unlucky). But, she may not... many states have agreements with others. Unfortunately, there is not a way (yet) to get a national license. You must hold a license for each state in which you practice medicine- which is a bummer for those rural large animal vets who have to maintain dual licensure because they live at a state line.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The good news, of course, is that she will have to stay VERY CURRENT on exam type questions, and will be that much better of a doctor as a consequence.:)

J

I was wondering if veterinarian certification from one state is recognized by all other states. IE, if you are certified by California and move out of the state, do you have to recertify in your new state before you can practice?

I ask this because my wife is considering applying to veterinary school, and I am in the Coast Guard. This means that we'll be moving every 3 or 4 years. Right now she's looking at Texas A&M or UC Davis (Houston and San Francisco are both places I can get stationed).

Thanks all,
Brian

If she could practice in one state for 5 years (licensed there), it'd be much easier. I am finding that a lot of states will give you a license via reciprocity if you have held a valid license in another state for 5 years (with no actions against you etc.).

At least one state (Ohio) will issue a license to any certified veterinarian provided the state they are licensed by has similar licensing requirements:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4741.12

After doing some research, I learned that some states have entered agreements of dual recipocity. WA is one such state:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=18.92.130

Is there a listing somewhere of all the states that have reprocity agreements or a listing of those that have dual reprocity agreements?

I could probably figure this out for all the states I could possibly be stationed at: MA, NJ, GA, FL, LA, TX, MI, CA, OR, WA, AK...but it would take some time searching through state legal codes!