SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Certification Question

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by jerky1280, May 15, 2007.

  1. jerky1280


    May 14, 2007
    I was wondering if veterinarian certification from one state is recognized by all other states. IE, if you are certified by California and move out of the state, do you have to recertify in your new state before you can practice?

    I ask this because my wife is considering applying to veterinary school, and I am in the Coast Guard. This means that we'll be moving every 3 or 4 years. Right now she's looking at Texas A&M or UC Davis (Houston and San Francisco are both places I can get stationed).

    Thanks all,
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jfitzpatri8

    jfitzpatri8 Trying my darnedest... 2+ Year Member

    Mar 3, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Unfortunately, that is dependent on the two states in question. So, you get your license in CA after taking the boards (2 separate exams)... then, you want to move to South Dakota (that's a joke- no ocean in SD- not even any big lakes!), anyhow, SD may or may not accept a transfer of the license from CA. They do accept the national board exam everywhere. But your poor wife may end up having to take licensure exams every time you move (if she's that unlucky). But, she may not... many states have agreements with others. Unfortunately, there is not a way (yet) to get a national license. You must hold a license for each state in which you practice medicine- which is a bummer for those rural large animal vets who have to maintain dual licensure because they live at a state line.

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The good news, of course, is that she will have to stay VERY CURRENT on exam type questions, and will be that much better of a doctor as a consequence.:)

  4. birdvet2006

    birdvet2006 Glasgow c/o 2006 5+ Year Member

    Feb 5, 2005
    Portsmouth, NH
    If she could practice in one state for 5 years (licensed there), it'd be much easier. I am finding that a lot of states will give you a license via reciprocity if you have held a valid license in another state for 5 years (with no actions against you etc.).
  5. jerky1280


    May 14, 2007
    At least one state (Ohio) will issue a license to any certified veterinarian provided the state they are licensed by has similar licensing requirements:

    After doing some research, I learned that some states have entered agreements of dual recipocity. WA is one such state:

    Is there a listing somewhere of all the states that have reprocity agreements or a listing of those that have dual reprocity agreements?

    I could probably figure this out for all the states I could possibly be stationed at: MA, NJ, GA, FL, LA, TX, MI, CA, OR, WA, AK...but it would take some time searching through state legal codes!

Share This Page