Certification Reciprocity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AttemptingScholar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing training for a clinical job while in undergrad. The three, in particular, I've heard the most about are phlebotomy, CNAs, and EMTs. I'm spending my summer in California but the school year in New York, so I'm concerned if any classes I might take won't be sufficient to practice in New York.

It looks like phlebotomy only has state level certification (which NY doesn't even require, though CA does), and I know there's a national program for EMTs, it looks like there's also something at the state level? I'm not sure. And it looks fairly easy to transfer a CNA certification, but I'll still have my CA drivers license so I'm not sure how well that would work? It looks like the easiest to do online, however, so maybe I could just list my home state as New York if that's allowed?

Does anyone have an experience, advice, or expertise in paid clinical work in New York, especially when certification is obtained in another state?

EDIT: Extra question. If a take a class for this at a community college, does this count as a course that will go on my transcript and affect my GPA or do licensing courses work differently?

Members don't see this ad.