Certified Pharmacy Tech Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SelfPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking to gain some practical pharmacy experience, and have started the process of self study for the PTCB CPhT exam.

I purchased the Mosby text, but am looking for any best demonstrated practices and tips for efficient studying (with Mosby or otherwise). Anyone have success building a study regimine/timeline and passing the exam?

EDIT: I should note I have a BS in Pharmaceutical Marketing, but very limited science background(have only taken Gen Chem 1, thankfully got an A). I know some of the drug prefixes/suffixes and regulatory law, but am really working from the ground up. Starting PharmD prereqs in the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi SelfPharm,

When I studied for the PTCB exams, I rented the following books from the library to help me study:

1. Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination by James Mizner

2. Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician by Michael L. Posey

(There are more books out there, but I found these 2 to be the most helpful in prepping.)

I also used the following website: http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/

My friend and I each took the exam and our exams were very different from one another's. Her exam consisted mostly of conceptual questions whilst mine consisted mostly of calculations. The best advice I can give to you is to go over the topics in the above books and practice the pharmacy calculations. The website above has a lot of practice tests you can use to study and it helps you to pinpoint on topics where more focus is needed. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I would be more than happy to help you. :)