Certifying and Submitting Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I certify and submit before uploading a personal statement? (They are on different tabs, but I just wanna make sure...)

Should I be certifying and submitting before an MSPE meeting?

Will schools look at an application by itself without other documents like letters or transcripts? Or is everything compiled together when all stuff is uploaded, and then schools look at it (if so when does this occur)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can I certify and submit before uploading a personal statement? (They are on different tabs, but I just wanna make sure...)

Should I be certifying and submitting before an MSPE meeting?

Will schools look at an application by itself without other documents like letters or transcripts? Or is everything compiled together when all stuff is uploaded, and then schools look at it (if so when does this occur)?

Thanks!

You can certify and submit whenever you want (after/9/1 of course). There are some programs who will invite based on just your CAF and transcript. Others will want a couple of letters, still others will want a complete app. As soon as your app meets their minimum requirements (and somebody at the program logs in to ERAS) it will download your app.

Every program is different. I don't think you lose anything by submitting ASAP.

Gutonc is correct, as usual.

Certifying your application simply finalizes the "CV" portion of your application. You would no longer be able to change your employment history, or your schools attended, or descriptions of your research/volunteer activity, etc.

You will still be able to adjust / submit LOR's and PS's. You will still be able to change anything in your profile, which includes your contact information, AOA status, ECFMG status, couples matching, etc. The profile is a tab on MyERAS, you can easily see what information you can change at any time.

Reactions: 1 user
Gutonc is correct, as usual.

Certifying your application simply finalizes the "CV" portion of your application. You would no longer be able to change your employment history, or your schools attended, or descriptions of your research/volunteer activity, etc.

You will still be able to adjust / submit LOR's and PS's. You will still be able to change anything in your profile, which includes your contact information, AOA status, ECFMG status, couples matching, etc. The profile is a tab on MyERAS, you can easily see what information you can change at any time.

So it is in one's best interest to go ahead and submit your ERAS application, even if you only have, say 2/3 letters uploaded, on 9/1?

So it is in one's best interest to go ahead and submit your ERAS application, even if you only have, say 2/3 letters uploaded, on 9/1?

Or for that matter if we've completed our personal statement and the remainder of the common application but are still waiting for our letters of recommendation should/can we submit our application? Or do we wait for our LORs?

Or for that matter if we've completed our personal statement and the remainder of the common application but are still waiting for our letters of recommendation should/can we submit our application? Or do we wait for our LORs?

Oy vey. Are you all not paying attention?

Submit when you can with what you can. Add things later as they come.

no, don't wait for LORs. i know someone who was told that she missed out on interviews b/c she waited to certify/submit when her last LOR came in sometime in oct. if u have everything ready, why wait for the LORs? some programs might send u an invite based on everything else or minus 1 missing LOR, u only hurt urself by waiting...

ERAS opened July 1st. You can certify and submit now.

I thought you could certify now but you had to wait till Sep 1st to submit?

If not then what is the big deal about Sep 1st?

Osteopathic programs open for applications earlier (for DO students only) because their entire timeline is earlier than the ACGME/NRMP timeline. So, for the vast majority of applicants and programs, you can certify/submit your application any time you want, but you cannot apply to programs until Sept 1. There is no benefit to certifying prior to Sept 1. Once you certify, you cannot change the basics of your application. No exceptions. You can ALWAYS assign new LOR's, a new PS, retransmit your USMLE's, etc -- these are seperate from your application. You can also update your "profile" at any time -- which includes your contact information, your ECFMG status (for IMG's), AOA status, etc.

do we need a separate personal statement for the transitional year?

also, how do we upload our photo onto eras?

also, do we have to release our scores from the nbme and nbome separately or is it automatic through eras?

Can someone explain the difference between certifying and submitting? How about the difference between ERAS and NRMP? Aren't we all participating in NRMP if we are filling out and submitting ERAS to participating residency programs?

Can someone explain the difference between certifying and submitting? How about the difference between ERAS and NRMP? Aren't we all participating in NRMP if we are filling out and submitting ERAS to participating residency programs?

I think your questions will be answered if you read the thread...

As aProgramDirector mentioned earlier, you can change/adjust LORs for programs -- this includes adding/finalizing new LOR writers after certifying/applying to programs, correct?

Last edited:

Certifying finalizes a lot of your app but if you are only applying to allopathic residencies then you can't submit till Sep 1st. No benefit in certifying now.

ERAS is for applying. NRMP for ranking and matching. Two separate entities that require different registrations and different fees

quick question: I have certified my caf, and have all documents ready except personal statement! Can I apply now and upload personal statement in a day or two. Has anyone heard of anyone applying without a personal statement?

Will appreciate any advice. thanks

It's fine, but some programs might not look at your app until the PS is there. A delay of a few days won't matter either way -- i.e. submitting now and adding a PS in a week vs finishing your PS and submitting the entire application in a week.

It's fine, but some programs might not look at your app until the PS is there. A delay of a few days won't matter either way -- i.e. submitting now and adding a PS in a week vs finishing your PS and submitting the entire application in a week.

Thank you!