Certiphi Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComebackMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure there is a post addressing this already, but I could not find one when I searched the forum. Is it possible to get a Certiphi background check prior to applying? I went to their website and could not find it anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure there is a post addressing this already, but I could not find one when I searched the forum. Is it possible to get a Certiphi background check prior to applying? I went to their website and could not find it anywhere.
After you submit your AMCAS, they send you a link to Certiphi and you can self-procure the same background check that the schools will use.

After you submit your AMCAS, they send you a link to Certiphi and you can self-procure the same background check that the schools will use.

That would seem to defeat the purpose, since you'd probably want to get that BC before submitting the application so that you could try to iron out issues beforehand.. OP, you may need to go to another organization to get your own background check done if Certiphi won't do it for you independently.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No. Certiphi is just a service. The parameters of the check are different for different organizations. I.e. one school I applied to required 3 separate Certiphi checks.

Sorry to bring this back form the dead but....apparently if you pay the $150 for the (out of the email after verification) "For a fee, you may procure your own report from Certiphi Screening, Inc. in advance of the AMCAS-facilitated report by going to....", that doesn't you you get the report. Apparently it means they will give it to you after you've got a conditional acceptance, and only then. Which they already send it to you when you school initiates it; so I just paid $150 for, well I'm not exactly sure what, but they won't release a report to me.

For this background check, do we actually have to do anything? I'm under the impression if we gain an acceptance the school will automatically do it on us and that email is just if we want to see our own background before they do

For this background check, do we actually have to do anything? I'm under the impression if we gain an acceptance the school will automatically do it on us and that email is just if we want to see our own background before they do

You will get an e-mail from certifi re: background check on whatever school accepts you. From there you have to fill out some information, including previous addresses going back 7 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to bring this back form the dead but....apparently if you pay the $150 for the (out of the email after verification) "For a fee, you may procure your own report from Certiphi Screening, Inc. in advance of the AMCAS-facilitated report by going to....", that doesn't you you get the report. Apparently it means they will give it to you after you've got a conditional acceptance, and only then. Which they already send it to you when you school initiates it; so I just paid $150 for, well I'm not exactly sure what, but they won't release a report to me.

I'm utterly confused. What are they charging 150 for?

I paid 150, and got a report. They didn't even charge the full 150, just 60. The 150 is the maximum they charge, in case they need to do extra digging apparently.

So what they made it sound like is as soon as you get a conditional acceptance, they release the report for the ($150). Otherwise, you only get it 10 days before the school does, whenever the school gets around requesting it which may be way later then the conditional acceptance - so it gives you extra time to fix anything.

Ahhhh okay that makes sense. If something appears on the background check, how could someone even get it removed?

If you choose to pay Certiphi $150 for your report, you should get it within a month or two. The whole point of paying is to get your own report in advance of any conditional acceptances, so you have time to deal with any errors. If you paid but have not received your report, contact Certiphi. They are very helpful over the phone.

Because Certiphi is a private company, information which has been expunged from court records may still appear on Certiphi's screening. You have to take this up with them. If something appears on their background check that should not be there, you can file a dispute with them. Call Certiphi and they will walk you through it. If you have any documents that are relevant, send them to expedite things. Note that just because you have cleared this information with Certiphi does not mean expunged information won't show up in future background checks by other private companies, or in federal background checks (where it most likely is there to stay).

If you choose to pay Certiphi $150 for your report, you should get it within a month or two. The whole point of paying is to get your own report in advance of any conditional acceptances, so you have time to deal with any errors. If you paid but have not received your report, contact Certiphi. They are very helpful over the phone.

Because Certiphi is a private company, information which has been expunged from court records may still appear on Certiphi's screening. You have to take this up with them. If something appears on their background check that should not be there, you can file a dispute with them. Call Certiphi and they will walk you through it. If you have any documents that are relevant, send them to expedite things. Note that just because you have cleared this information with Certiphi does not mean expunged information won't show up in future background checks by other private companies, or in federal background checks (where it most likely is there to stay).
I spent about 30 min on the phone with them today. They WILL NOT release the report, even with the fee, prior to conditional acceptance. My question repeatedly to them was "what exactly am I getting for the $150" and their response was "access within 3-5 days of conditional acceptance". "We do not give out reports at all until conditional acceptance".

I spent about 30 min on the phone with them today. They WILL NOT release the report, even with the fee, prior to conditional acceptance. My question repeatedly to them was "what exactly am I getting for the $150" and their response was "access within 3-5 days of conditional acceptance". "We do not give out reports at all until conditional acceptance".

i did my own background check and like the other poster who got their report, i also got mine. it cost around 60$ as well and had a list of previous address, whether i had any criminal convictions and general stuff you'd find on a background check.

I dont know whats going on in mavric1298's case, but I got the report just fine

Just curious why people think that the federal government (FBI) doesn't expunge records. According to the FBI website they do.

"An expungement is a deletion of a single arrest or an entire Record. Each state employs unique forms for submitting expungement information to the CJIS Division to ensure the Criminal History Record at the FBI is expunged. "

In my state the Department of Law Enforcement removes the record at the state level and then informs the FBI to clear their records.

i did my own background check and like the other poster who got their report, i also got mine. it cost around 60$ as well and had a list of previous address, whether i had any criminal convictions and general stuff you'd find on a background check.

I dont know whats going on in mavric1298's case, but I got the report just fine
on the background check did they show any non criminal violations like civil infraction?

I paid 150, and got a report. They didn't even charge the full 150, just 60. The 150 is the maximum they charge, in case they need to do extra digging apparently.
How did you get the report? I have contacted certiphi and they said that it's only possible after you're accepted... but I have seen that others were able to get them too.

does anyone know certiphi shows up civil infraction?

I contacted certiphi if I could just get a background check done on my self. They said no they do not do individual checks.