Cervical Stabilization

Started by chmd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chmd

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you do this? In training we always removed the cervical collar, but in practice everyone leaves it on and has nsg hold stabilization. My board review book suggests removing front of collar (maybe for cricoid pressure). What's the right way?

Also are you liberal w cricoid pressure on these patients or do you reserve it for those who were drinking a milkshake on the way to the ED?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Front of collar off, neuro holding stabilization (if available), no cricoid pressure.
Agreed and if I'm real worried I use the Glidescope with the pt asleep.

Actually, now that I think about it, since I started using the Glidescope for bad cervical injuries I haven't removed the anterior portion of the collar.