cGPA: 2.90/sGPA: 2.67 MCAT: 516 URM Advice on SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraj34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very low gpa but high MCAT so I need to do an SMP, but I don't know which programs I would be a good match for. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here are my stats below.

URM: African-American
New York Resident

cGPA: 2.90
sGPA: 2.67
MCAT: 516 (127/130/129/130)
B.S in Biology

Clinical Hours: 1000+ hours. Volunteered as a medical scribe at a nursing home, worked as a medical assistant for a dermatologist. Currently working as a scribe/assistant for a plastic surgeon.
Shadowing: 100+ hours. Shadowed doctors in internal medicine, dermatology, plastic surgery and pediatrics.
Research: 400 hours research on HER2+ and breast cancer

Members don't see this ad.

You have good ECs. But you NEED more hours volunteering with the underserved. Do that, you could do any SMP and be fine as long as you earned a 3.5+ GPA in an official SMP. I’d say pick any of the main SMPs (Cincy, Gtown, or BU). Basically any SMP that takes med school classes alongside the M1s and grades you against them will be a good program. I did Gtown and it was great. You’d probably do well in that program and have a good shot at GUSOM IF you got your underserved volunteer hours up, write your secondaries well, and interview well.

Reactions: 1 user
You have good ECs. But you NEED more hours volunteering with the underserved. Do that, you could do any SMP and be fine as long as you earned a 3.5+ GPA in an official SMP. I’d say pick any of the main SMPs (Cincy, Gtown, or BU). Basically any SMP that takes med school classes alongside the M1s and grades you against them will be a good program. I did Gtown and it was great. You’d probably do well in that program and have a good shot at GUSOM IF you got your underserved volunteer hours up, write your secondaries well, and interview well.
I checked the Georgetown SMP website and it states that a competitive applicant should have a 3.0 gpa, but I have a 2.9 gpa. Gtown has another SMP called Georgetown GEMS, were you referring to that one?