cGPA v. sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

__AVI8R__

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following is do adcoms look more favorably on?

• cGPA = 3.8; sGPA = 3.4
  • cGPA = 3.6; sGPA = 3.6
  • cGPA = 3.4; sGPA = 3.8
Or more generally, does a high sGPA save a low cGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a fool's errand, we don't simply look at a single metric.
I'll admit that it's hard to get pass the numbers. So hopefully an answer to the below questions will reduce that tendency of mine (and no doubt other pre-meds).

From what I've see you write about DO schools, I would hope that they are indeed more holistic in their approach. I don't know what data DO adcoms get to see and in what order, but do I have to worry about being sorted to the bottom of some list based on GPA? At what point do I have to worry about being filtered out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which of the following is do adcoms look more favorably on?

• cGPA = 3.8; sGPA = 3.4
  • cGPA = 3.6; sGPA = 3.6
  • cGPA = 3.4; sGPA = 3.8
Or more generally, does a high sGPA save a low cGPA?

The third option. Unless you’re going top tier the sgpa is given FAR more weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The GPA floor for do schools is between 3.0 and 3.3.
I'll admit that it's hard to get pass the numbers. So hopefully an answer to the below questions will reduce that tendency of mine (and no doubt other pre-meds).

From what I've see you write about DO schools, I would hope that they are indeed more holistic in their approach. I don't know what data DO adcoms get to see and in what order, but do I have to worry about being sorted to the bottom of some list based on GPA? At what point do I have to worry about being filtered out?

3.1ish cGPA and 3.7ish sGPA here. Seem to have done fine having a higher sGPA.

I'm going to have a 3.4 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA after some grade repair (3.8 GPA in last 30ish credits). Do I still have a shot at DO schools?

Depends upon MCAT and other factors. There are a few schools that claim to screen below 3.2 or 3.25. There are plenty more which don’t make any such claim.

I'm going to have a 3.4 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA after some grade repair (3.8 GPA in last 30ish credits). Do I still have a shot at DO schools?

Yikes, that 3.1 is gonna haunt you. Some won’t even consider you with that. Bare minimum mcat you’re gonna need is 510 (but realistically probably more in the 512-515 range)

Yikes, that 3.1 is gonna haunt you. Some won’t even consider you with that. Bare minimum mcat you’re gonna need is 510 (but realistically probably more in the 512-515 range)

Some schools specifically look at last 90 credits with a high emphasis.

Also doing a SMP would fix this issue.

Medical schools said they ONLY take into account how well you did during your SMP when looking at your GPA, if you so choose to attend one.

If you attend an SMP and have a sub-500 MCAT, but do well in the program, they are much more likely to accept you.

I agree though, not attending an SMP and having a 3.1 GPA would mean a higher MCAT is needed.