Chain retail pharmacy is destroying community pharmacy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Drive-thru, guaranteed wait times, those stupid "$15 gift card for a transfer" coupons, how can the profession honestly continue without winding up a glorified McDonald's? Retail in general is a cesspool. Dealing with insurance companies who have no reason to make your job easier. Dealing with physicians who have no reason to make your job any easier. The public is filled with people who have bought way too much into the McWorld instant gratification crap who can't wait 10 minutes for me to give them a substance that could kill them if handled improperly. The internet and it's facade of "public empowerment" has made telling people the correct thing an impossibility. The computer said so, it must be true. Retail. It's for the birds.

No more. When I am done with retail after I am laid off from Kroger in October, I am never returning. Unless it's the only job I can find as I wait for my wife to graduate in '09....upon which I'll be pissed.... 😡

I'm starting to dig hospital and nuclear pharmacy more and more every second longer I am in retail. Mmmm...application of science...how I miss you...
 
WVUPharm2007 said:
Drive-thru, guaranteed wait times, those stupid "$15 gift card for a transfer" coupons, how can the profession honestly continue without winding up a glorified McDonald's? Retail in general is a cesspool. Dealing with insurance companies who have no reason to make your job easier. Dealing with physicians who have no reason to make your job any easier. The public is filled with people who have bought way too much into the McWorld instant gratification crap who can't wait 10 minutes for me to give them a substance that could kill them if handled improperly. The internet and it's facade of "public empowerment" has made telling people the correct thing an impossibility. The computer said so, it must be true. Retail. It's for the birds.

No more. When I am done with retail after I am laid off from Kroger in October, I am never returning. Unless it's the only job I can find as I wait for my wife to graduate in '09....upon which I'll be pissed.... 😡

I'm starting to dig hospital and nuclear pharmacy more and more every second longer I am in retail. Mmmm...application of science...how I miss you...

Agree 100%. I did a nuclear rotation last year. Aside from the fact that I had to report for duty every morning at 3am, it was a cool rotation. If you like science, math and like working with your hands (to manipulate lead syringes in the hood) then you might like nuclear pharmacy.
 
prairie42 said:
Agree 100%. I did a nuclear rotation last year. Aside from the fact that I had to report for duty every morning at 3am, it was a cool rotation. If you like science, math and like working with your hands (to manipulate lead syringes in the hood) then you might like nuclear pharmacy.

Since this thread is apparently turning into a thread about nuc. pharmacy, how dangerous is it? I mean, how much pharmacists are exposed to radiation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked in Rite Aid as pharm tech last couple of years.
I wonder while pharmacist is still in shortage what reason you got laid off?
 
konkan said:
Since this thread is apparently turning into a thread about nuc. pharmacy, how dangerous is it? I mean, how much pharmacists are exposed to radiation?
And do nuclear pharmers have to get their blood work done every so often like nuclear plant/enrichment workers?
 
Hmmmm...Nuclear Pharmacy...I must research this. In a former life I was a Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Warfare Defense Specialist and it was "rad" 😀
 
konkan said:
Since this thread is apparently turning into a thread about nuc. pharmacy, how dangerous is it? I mean, how much pharmacists are exposed to radiation?

will nuc. pharmacist pay higher than others as they facing a higher risk? 🙄
 
forever27 said:
will nuc. pharmacist pay higher than others as they facing a higher risk? 🙄

I heard nuc. pharmacists are paid pretty much the same as retail pharmacists in the area...
 
konkan said:
Since this thread is apparently turning into a thread about nuc. pharmacy, how dangerous is it? I mean, how much pharmacists are exposed to radiation?

Nuclear pharmacy in general is very heavily regulated. Strict standards are in place for your safety. Every radiopharmaceutical you work with is shielded by either Pb or W (Tungsten). The hood you work in is shielded by Pb. In addition, there are numerous Geiger-Mueller counters in the pharmacy that constantly monitor for high radiation. You also wear a dosimetry ring and/or badge that gets read periodically. I never felt in danger at all when I did my rotation.
 
forever27 said:
will nuc. pharmacist pay higher than others as they facing a higher risk? 🙄

The pay is about the same or slightly less in some areas compared to retail pharmacy.
 
ethyl said:
And do nuclear pharmers have to get their blood work done every so often like nuclear plant/enrichment workers?

Not sure about blood work but pharmacists and techs must monitor thyroid function regularly, since some of the radiopharmaceuticals dispensed, like I 131, will knock out thyroid function totally, if exposure is great enough.