Chair postions??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmed Tarek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most comfortable place to sit, when working on teeth, in all four quadrants??? operative... this is becoming a problem to me, its either im comfortable, but i cant actuallly see what im doing, OR i can see but my back is soo close to snap.... oh, and HOW DO YOU PUT AMALGAAM IN UPPER TEETH, when working with indirect vision??? it keeps falling???

Members don't see this ad.

are you tilting the head back? Sometimes the answer is in adjusting the head...put it back, put it higher, sideways...

As a righty, I do most operative sitting between 12-10 o'clock. After placing the restoration I will occasionally sit at other positions briefly just to finish the restoration, confirming that the contours are correct.

When working on the maxilla and mandible, the patient's head should be parallel and slightly inclined to the floor, respectively. When placing amalgam, be sure to PACK it against the line angles first followed by the other areas. If you do this with enough pressure, the amalgam won't budge.

I disagree with the other poster about tilting the head back. Some of my classmates do this and not only do they look ******ed by purposely avoiding indirect vision, but it's uncomfortable for the patient.

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
by tilting the head back I actually meant what you said about keeping it parallel...I have seen people working on maxillary with the in complete upright position and I thought that might be difficult if it is not back a bit...

Ive got to see a patient tmrw with a class 1 upper right 7, which u can barely see indirectly, and even directly, cement and amalgam are really going to be very difficult, im sure there a WAY to do this

by tilting the head back I actually meant what you said about keeping it parallel...I have seen people working on maxillary with the in complete upright position and I thought that might be difficult if it is not back a bit...

True, just make sure that whatever position the head is in, a real patient's head could take the same position comfortably. You control the chair and can direct the patient's head, but don't face the head towards you for example! The patient could never take that position while sitting in the chair.

The thing is with indirect vision, is that u always get ur mirror wet, u cant see with all the water on the mirror

Ive got to see a patient tmrw with a class 1 upper right 7, which u can barely see indirectly, and even directly, cement and amalgam are really going to be very difficult, im sure there a WAY to do this

Class 1, upper right, 7....Is this an international system? If so, I'm assuming you're talking about about the maxillary right 2nd molar.

True, without an assistant the mirror will become covered in water, but you can adjust the mirror position so that it becomes covered at a slower rate. Try moving the mirror as far from the tooth as possible. Do the gross prep outline quickly and you can refine at a slower speed without water. Typically, I hand my patient the saliva ejector and just tell them to use it when they need it. It's kinda ghetto, but the patient understands that I don't have an assistant and it gives them some of the control..which they appreciate.

It's possible to do these preps indirectly, with water. It just takes some practice and patient cooperation.

Hup

Thanks a lot HubHolland, yes i meant the upper second molar..man i hate operative...lol

Consider investing in some loupes...helped my posture dramatically and I can SO much better.

Consider investing in some loupes...helped my posture dramatically and I can SO much better.

Agreed. My neck still bends, but I don't have to hunch over to get a good look.

hi. i am starting dental school this coming fall, and i am just wondering don't dental schools teach you how to do that and teach you the right techniques ? or it is all on your own ?? i am really confused !!!

hi. i am starting dental school this coming fall, and i am just wondering don't dental schools teach you how to do that and teach you the right techniques ? or it is all on your own ?? i am really confused !!!

you mostly figure have to figure it out on your own...we didn't get a lecture on patient/operator positioning until we were learning how to do scaling and root planing in perio during our second year.