Challenge/obstacle essay: how recent does the event have to be?

natalux

Apr 15, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    If I'm being honest, I've lived a pretty comfortable life (as have most premeds I'm sure), and the most challenging thing I've faced is moving from the US to India at the age of 8, and then moving back to the US at 12. The experience involved a lot of culture shock either way; it was incredibly difficult for me to adjust, but it definitely helped me develop some level of resilience and adaptability at a young age, and I think I could write a compelling essay about it. However, that was a long time ago. Is it fair game to write about this or do you guys think I should pick something more recent?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 7, 2005
    1. Academic Administration
      I'd suggest describing a challenge you have faced as an adult. You can describe skills you used to face the challenge and describe those as skills you acquired at a young age as you adjusted first to life in India and then to life back in the States.

Reactions: 2 users
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.