Challenge to all.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrombus

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to put up or shut up.

To: Whoever claims there is too much pathology to sign out and not enough pathologists to do it.

I will have 5 pathology companies chomping at the bit ready to sign out your stuff, all with extremely qualified pathologists, if I can't make arrangements to do it myself.

PM me with your practice detail or post for all too see.

If you claim to care about the profession and simultaneously claim that we need more pathologists, lets see you put your money where your mouth is!

Members don't see this ad.

To: Whoever claims there is too much pathology to sign out and not enough pathologists to do it.

I will have 5 pathology companies chomping at the bit ready to sign out your stuff, all with extremely qualified pathologists, if I can't make arrangements to do it myself.

If you claim to care about the profession and simultaneously claim that we need more pathologists, lets see you put your money where your mouth is!

Has anybody made this claim?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any such claim is foolish. If you are not signing out 12K mixed general surgical pathology/non-gyn cytology cases per year you are loafing. ( and i am now loafing-about 8500 but should be going up to more of what i am used to) I see these academia ads with House of God hospital having 32000 surgicals per year and they have 13 attendings, 2 PhD's and a boat load of residents. Puleeeease!

This doesn't make any sense. Pathology reference labs have professional sales staff that go out and get business. Even local groups that serve as reference labs do this. Nearly everyone is always trying to get more business and would be interested in getting more specimens. Even groups who consider themselves overworked would take the business, and then figure out later how to cover it. If it stays too much work they would hire.

This is business 101, I have no idea why you think this proves any sort of point whatsoever. Even people who claim we need more pathologists would take the extra business. What is this supposed to prove?

I think any such claim is foolish. If you are not signing out 12K mixed general surgical pathology/non-gyn cytology cases per year you are loafing. ( and i am now loafing-about 8500 but should be going up to more of what i am used to) I see these academia ads with House of God hospital having 32000 surgicals per year and they have 13 attendings, 2 PhD's and a boat load of residents. Puleeeease!

Mike-

You know there are Pathologists whining in California about signing out 3K per person per year? In the past I interviewed with groups where I actually had to tell them they need to NOT hire me and just sign out more meat aka "put on your big boy pants and go to work".

I am in the proverbial Land of the Dodos.

wut?

Isn't one of the goals of most pathology practices to increase business? Are you drunk posting and confusing issues or something?

A lot of pathologists out there are very busy but doesn't mean we turn down extra work. If the work continues to increase, then we can hire someone new. It's a good problem to have.

What actually is your point with this post? The stuff I am seeing about "we need more pathologists" refers to pathology at least 10 years into the future when all these pathologists are supposed to retire (who knows whether they will) and specimen volume keeps increasing, so says the data. Is there anyone who says we have a shortage of pathologists now? I must have missed that if someone said it.